Classifying activities in a table

Classifying activities in a table

by Glenys Hanson -
Number of replies: 20

(I've continued the discussion from the Hot Pot forum here because it concerns a Quiz question - also because I was finding it difficult to actually see the posts at the end of such a long discussion - when are we going to get ForumNG as a standard wink)

Hi Itamar,

Yes, it works for me on a guest account in Firefox at http://uepd.quizport.com/mod/quiz/attempt.php?q=42 - see below.

Cheers,

Glenys

Attachment 07-11-2010 21-59-15.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: Classifying activities in a table

by Itamar Tzadok -

Yes, so as I said in the other thread I can guest on IE8 but not FF from Win XP. I will post later the errors FF throws so as to continue the investigation. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Deborah,

Can I ask you to a do a bit more testing?

Can you do this Quiz on the same Moodle site: http://uepd.quizport.com/mod/quiz/view.php?id=965 as a guest? I can on Windows 7 in Firefox 3.6.12, IE8, Opera and Chrome and I can also on Mac OS 10.6.4 on Firefox, Safari, Opera and Chrome.

As a guest, can you do the QuizPorts, for example, Magic "e" matching exercises? There too, you need to click on "Preview" (Prévisualisation).

By the way, this is now a discussion on the Quiz Module forum.

Thanks,

Glenys

by Itamar Tzadok -

Glenys I don't think it's a problem with clicking 'Preview' but rather that the d&d doesn't work in that preview (apparently only in some cases). I will add a non-quiz version of the exercise so as to see whether it is quiz related issue or a more general one. smile

by Itamar Tzadok -

I think I fixed something cause now it works for my guest on FF too. smile

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Itamar,

Great! Some progress on Mac too: It now works for me as a guest on Firefox but not on my other browsers.

sad But it no longer works for me as a guest on Windows 7 on Firefox ... or the other browsers.

But they all work if I'm logged in with an account.

Cheers,

Glenys

by Itamar Tzadok -

At any rate I've made some changes so that it will be an exercise rather than a quiz question. So the quiz question on uepd.quizport.com no longer works but try http://uepd.quizport.com/mod/resource/view.php?id=2318 instead, and let me know if it works and what you think. smile

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Itamar,

In http://uepd.quizport.com/mod/resource/view.php?id=2318I see that the words to move sweetly present themselves in the order they need to be in the categories wink but I don't see how to get a score thoughtful?

That's on Windows 7 in Firefox.

Bonne continuation !

Glenys

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi again,

I see you're still working on it and it's rather neat that students now get presented with a choice between the two intitial categories. That makes it much more manageable for them. approve

Cheers,

Glenys

by Itamar Tzadok -

That was a very rough and dirty modification just to make it work. Now when you drag and drop you get an immediate feedback: the item is highlighted green if in the correct category and orange in an incorrect category. Naturally, you don't need a score. Note that this a web page resource. Here the answers are encoded and hidden on the page, just like in hp. I have to modify the generator accordingly to be able to generate this webpage version by a click. I still need to work on the quiz version to make it indicate correctness per item. Not difficult just work. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Glenys Hanson -

Oh, how wonderful! I saw the green highlight - didn't see the orange. wide eyes So I didn't twig to the significance - just thought you liked green (maybe you're of Irish origin? wink)

I do hope other people are as excited as I am about getting near to having a classification exercise. Joseph?

Cheers,

Glenys

Hope Mary Evans will excuse me for having stolen her "cheerleader"

Attachment cheerleader.gif

by ben reynolds -

I can't say I'm "excited" because I didn't know what I didn't have.

I can say it is a very neat exercise, and I am intrigued/impressed enough to be wondering what I can do with it.

It can be used in courses not specific to teaching a language, right?

In reply to ben reynolds

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Ben,

Yes, it can be used in any course where the objective is for the students to develope criteria about any subject. The difference between criteria and rules, is that criteria are internal to the person using them and which they may or may not be able to explicit as rules.

For example, you can give a bunch of pictures to small children and ask them to sort them into two groups. If they sort the animate into one group and the non-animate into another, it is possible to say they understand the difference even if they can't make it explicit in words. Constructivist pedagogy (Montesori, Piaget, Gattegno...) is based, among other things, on giving students these kinds of tasks.

Does that help?

Glenys

In reply to ben reynolds

by Itamar Tzadok -

Of course. It's just a matter of what you want to drag and where you should drop it. The whole idea is very simple. You create any content you want, free form, and enter the items you want to move as lists. The generator reorganizes the underlying html and YUI makes it dragable. See image for a simple non-language application. This is from a 'respect & inclusivity' tutorial I'm developing. The objective is allow participants to engage with the related material. The exercise is to attach links to residence handbooks to the image of the residence. As a side effect you get to know your soroundings and if by mistake you click the links you can actually read the content of the handbooks. wink More complex examples soon (I just need to invent them big grin).

smile

Attachment ddresidenceshb.jpg

by ben reynolds -

G & I,

Thanks for your responses. You told me exactly what I wanted to know. This really is very cool!

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Glenys,

I have no idea what this discussion is about... There is a "missing link" somewhere.sad

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Joseph,

Sorry, I should have made clear that this discussion started on the Hot Potatoes forum as: Classifying Activities, but it actually concerns a new type of Quiz question Itamar is developing.

Cheers,

Glenys

by Ulrike Albers -

Hallo everybody,

I just tried it and it's GREAT !!!

Ulrike

In reply to Ulrike Albers

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Sorry, but cannot get this activity to work on Windows XP, neither in Firefox nor MSIE.

Itamar, any idea?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by ben reynolds -
In reply to ben reynolds

by Joseph Rézeau -

Thanks Ben, I had the wrong address. It's working OK now.blush

This is an excellent activity. I hope it will be available in Moodle 2.1 some time. By the way, that's an activity I had created for my students something like 15 years ago, using Asymetrix Toolbook (now Click2Learn), with their proprietary authoring language and not on the Internet in those days, obviously. It's a pity that the almost exclusive use of Internet browsers and the limited capacities of their programing languages has brought limits to what was possible not only 15 but 25 years ago! Fortunately, with recent progress in browsers, languages and the excellent work of such people as Itamar, things are looking brighter now.

Joseph