problem with Moodle MySQL Admin installation, /lang/en-iso-8859-1/

problem with Moodle MySQL Admin installation, /lang/en-iso-8859-1/

by Gustav W Delius -
Number of replies: 6
After unzipping the file moodle-1.0.8.1-mysql-admin.zip into the admin folder and opening moodle/admin/ I get lots of: Warning: Failed opening 'c:\phpdev\www\moodle/lang/en-iso-8859-1/moodle.php' for inclusion. There is of course no directory lang/en-iso-8859-1/
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: problem with Moodle MySQL Admin installation, /lang/en-iso-8859-1/

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The whole contents should be inside a 'mysql' folder, and the mysql folder should be in the admin folder ... eg c:\phpdev\www\moodle\admin\mysql
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Gustav W Delius -
The whole package is inside c:\phpdev\www\moodle\admin\mysql as required.

by Gustav W Delius -

My system is working again but I am completely puzzled.

After installing the mysql folder inside the admin folder and running moodle/admin/index.php I received the error message about moodle/lang/en-iso-8859-1/ not existing, as reported above.

I then deleted the mysql folder in the hope that that would fix my system, but it was still looking for that folder. Only after closing the browser and opening another one did the system work again. So it appears to be a session thing.

I then reinstalled the mysql stuff and the problem reappeared.

The only way I was able to fix the problem was by actually creating a folder moodle/lang/en-iso-8859-1/ and copying everything from the moodle/lang/en/ folder into it. My system now works happily including the mysql admin.

So what made moodle decide it wanted its language files to be in a directory with the name en-iso-8859-1? This is puzzling because phpmyadmin does not use a directory of that name. phpmyadmin does however set the language to en-iso-8859-1 and saves that information in a cookie as well as passing it in the URL. I think I will investigate a bit further.

by Gustav W Delius -

O.k., the source of the problem is identified: phpmyadmin creates the variable _COOKIE["lang"] and sets it to en-iso-8859-1. Moodle uses the variable $lang to select the language directory. So far so good. BUT: my server has register_globals ON.

This would, I think, be another good thing to mention in the installation instructions: set register_globals to OFF!

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Try this (attached) to replace config.inc.php in your admin/mysql folder.

by Gustav W Delius -
Thanks, that works fine. (I notice you edited your message after first posting it, did you also change the attached file?)