Missing student from assignment list

Missing student from assignment list

by John Skelton -
Number of replies: 8

A user just approached me with a very odd problem.

In the submission list for an assignment one student is missing from the 'all' view. He can still be accessed by filtering his surname.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Skelton

Re: Missing student from assignment list

by John Skelton -

This issue has come up again. I can't figure out for the life of me why this is happening, could anyone please offer some advice?

In reply to John Skelton

by John Skelton -

Still having this issue, extremely frustrating as teaching staff are starting to get upset over it. Does ANYONE have a solution to this?

Thanks.

In reply to John Skelton

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just to avoid the obvious - it's not the case that you have two pages of participants and he is on the second page is it?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kathy Morello -

Perhaps assignment is set for groups and this student has inadvertently been left off the list of participants who have been assigned to the groups for the course.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Skelton -

It's definitely not that.  It's set to display all the students on one page and the student in particular is missing from the list.

The strange thing is they can be found by filtering by surname (as I have been instructing teaching staff to do when it comes up).

In reply to John Skelton

by ben reynolds -

One simple thing to do: view source and search for the student's name to make sure there's not something going on with the code.

Second thought. You say that Submissions is set to display all students on one page. Do you mean that the number of submissions per page is set at least one higher than the number of students?

I'm assuming you're working in 1.9+

In reply to ben reynolds

by John Skelton -

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried viewing the source, the student simply isn't listed at all. The number of submissions per page is set to 200 and there are only 37 students in the class.

We are on 1.9+ as well.

In reply to John Skelton

by ben reynolds -

Weird. Okay, I'm still thinking there's an odd/invisible character in the student's name that is causing trouble, but . . .

1. Is it always the same student? (Probably not.)
  2. Is it always the same alphabetically?
  3. If you go to the participants list and show only students, does the student show up there?
  4. Similarly, if you do reports on participation, activity, etc, does the student show up in those reports?

Basically, I'm looking for other lists where the student does/doesn't show up.