Maybe permission problem???

Maybe permission problem???

by Peter Bašista -
Number of replies: 4

I have the following problem with Moodle Installation.

I have to say that it took me lot of time to set it up, but it still doesnt works!!! I am using Windows XP SP2 with IIS 5.1, PHP 5.02 and MySQL 4.1.
I am trying to run Moodle 1.4.2. At first, I tried to set Moodle up by regular installation process: running install.php . But this way disappointed me, because after third step were next page absolutely blank. Nothing had been there. I didnt know how to solve this, but once, I dont know how did I do it, I recieved a message about successfull installation. Configuration file had been created, so I tried to run Moodle. BUT, what happened then, ... ALL my pages were absolutely blank... So I restarted my computer and it worked, but with these errors:

Warning: main(config.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodle\index.php on line 15

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'config.php' (include_path='C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/moodle') in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodle\index.php on line 15

I have enabled ALL permissions, but it still strikes. It drives me mad, so I am writing here. Please, help me, If you know how. Thank you....

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Bašista

Re: Maybe permission problem???

by Peter Honan -

Does sound like permissions thoughtful, have you given the IUSR_xxxx user explicit permission for the folder and inherited this to subfolders?

Check if you can access the phpinfo.php in the admin folder too.

ie: http://localhost/moodle/admin/phpinfo.php

If you can't I would try disabling the SP2 firewall temporarily....it's pretty unforgiving. wink

In reply to Peter Honan

by Peter Bašista -

You were right. Even this phpinfo doest works! But I realized why it is happening ... in this modified version of phpinfo, this script is trying to open config.php in main directory. But, this file cannot be accessed or opened by script and so, there are again these errors:

Warning: main(../config.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodle\admin\phpinfo.php on line 4

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '../config.php' (include_path='C:\Inetpub\wwwroot') in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodle\admin\phpinfo.php on line 4

Permissions for "IUSR_nameofmyserver" are set to "all rights enabled"... You can see this in the attached picture. It miffs me so that I enabled all permissions also for "Everyone". But nothing changed. All permissions are, of course, inherited to all subfolders and files. So, what can I do now? Could you give me any advices? Everything could be helpful. Thank you.

Attachment sd.png
In reply to Peter Bašista

by Peter Honan -

Check your config.php, it's possible the root path for is incorrect thoughtful

Should be something like this......

//=========================================================================
// 3. SERVER FILES LOCATION
//=========================================================================
// Next, specify the full OS directory path to this same location
// Make sure the upper/lower case is correct.  Some examples:
//
//    $CFG->dirroot = 'C:\FoxServ\www\moodle';    // Windows
//    $CFG->dirroot = '/var/www/html/moodle';     // Redhat Linux

$CFG->dirroot   = 'E:\moodle';
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm wondering if you have used a virtual folder in IIS or if you have installed under the wwwroot folder? Can you let me know the install path?

In reply to Peter Honan

by Peter Bašista -

Yes, of course... My install path is C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodle - within the IIS wwwroot directory. But you mustnt reply.... I have discovered what was making the troubles... It was my MySQL server (4.1.7). I had used extension php_mysqli.dll instead of php_mysql.dll, because PHP 5 and MySQL 4.1.7 didnt works together with this (php_mysql.dll) extension. And, unfortunatly, Moodle probably isnt by default configured to work with this MySQL extension. So I intalled the older version of PHP (4.3.9) and MySQL (4.0) and everything worked...

Thanks for your good-will to help...