Calendar

Calendar

by John Sumpter -
Number of replies: 4

Hi all,

Face-to-face will be great for our institution but one issue is the Moodle calandar entry is SITE WIDE. This is not good for us. We need the calandar entry to be Course wide, as we have many different departments / courses using our single install of moodle.

As it is, awards, programmes and courses will all have calendar entrys that do not apply to them.

Does anyone have a soloution to this?

We use Moodle 1.9.7

Many Thanks

John

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Sumpter

Re: Calendar

by Gordon McLeod -

I'll add +1 to this and have raised a bug report in the tracker for this specific issue if you'd like to vote - http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-2850

If events are course based they must be targeted at individuals on that course, not displayed on the site-wide calendar where they just confuse everyone else.

Thanks, Gordon.

In reply to John Sumpter

by Jeremy Schweitzer -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This isn't a bug  - you can disable this behavior under the Face-to-face options by unchecking "Show on the calendar". If you want it to show up on the course calendar you can either add it manually or wait for people to sign up and then it will appear on their own calendars.

In reply to Jeremy Schweitzer

by Gordon McLeod -

I disagree - perhaps it's terminology semantics about what a bug is. Would you be happier if it was called a usability flaw?

I have tutors starting to use this actively so the global calendar is getting overwhelmed with course specific content. The default setting is to show on calendar, and if you're co-ordinating training sessions that sounds like the right thing to do. The tick box option can't be disabled by the administrator without hacking the code. If the calendar populated was the course one instead of the site calendar it wouldn't be an issue.

After testing this I've also found that if someone saves the event with those default settings then edits to uncheck the calendar box the events remain visible in the global calendar (I'd call that a bug too).

In reply to Gordon McLeod

by Jeremy Schweitzer -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I still wouldn't call this behavior a bug. This is the exact behavior that plenty of people need, so a whole sale change to course specific context would be a regression for us.

I see you added this request to the tracker, but I disagree with your characterization. Instead, a new feature request to add the ability to choose the context would more appropriate.

I'd also say that the other two complaints are best served by feature requests as neither are technically a bug. A bug is when something doesn't function the way it was intended, in this case each function behaves exactly the way it was designed and are perfectly usable for many scenarios.

However, I would agree that adding a way to set the global default for whether an event appears on the calendar or not and an easy way to remove events from the calendar would be useful new features.