Self-assessment after peer-assessment?

Self-assessment after peer-assessment?

by Gustav W Delius -
Number of replies: 2
Currently the self-assessment takes place before the peer-assessment. I just saw that CPR do it the other way around and that seems to make more sense. It is much easier to assess your own work after having assessed that of others. Also it has no benefit to assess your own work right after having submitted it because I would assume you have already thought about its quality while writing it. Should we change the order?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: Self-assessment after peer-assessment?

by Erlyn Baack -
Hi Gustav,

For ESL composition classes, I would prefer peer-assessment before self assessment.  It's hard for most non-native speakers of English to assess their own strengths and weaknesses, so that function should be saved until last.  By "practicing" on their peers' efforts first (and even that can be troublesome if they know their peers), they will be better prepared for honest and objective self-assessment.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: Self-assessment after peer-assessment?

by Dirk Koudstaal -
I got unstuck not realising that self-assessment takes precedent over peer-assessment. I would indeed prefer to have self-assessment to occur after the peer-assessment. However, I can also see an argument for self-assessment to be done first before the student start the peer-assessment activity. An obvious solution would be an option in the workshop settings for the teacher to select the sequence of these assessments to be undertaken by the students.