Manually entered grades do not save

Manually entered grades do not save

- Jon Breitenbucher の投稿
返信数: 7

Hello,

We have a very strange issue. Courses containing over a certain number of students (not sure exactly how many) have started having an issue when manually entering grades in the Gradebook. Faculty go to the Gradebook and turn editing on and then enter the scores for a particular assignment and then click update. They then find that the scores are saved for all but the last 3-4 students. No matter how many times you try to enter the scores and update they will not save. It is always the last three to four students whose scores do not save.

This does not happen if they create an assignment through the "Add an activity" interface and grade the activity on the Submissions page. This issue just started occurring at the end of last week and absolutely no changes have been made to the server, Moodle, or any modules. Prior to last week manually entering grades was working as normal. I am at a loss for what could be the reason for this to suddenly start happening. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jon Breitenbucher への返信

Re: Manually entered grades do not save

- Elena Ivanova の投稿

Hi Jon, I've never heard of such issue before. Have you checked how many students are in the gradebooks that have this going on? Do you have some cusom theme in place?

Elena Ivanova への返信

- Jon Breitenbucher の投稿

Elena,

Sorry it's been so long for my reply. We seem to have solved it but I still think something is wrong and we have just band aided it. Here is the error that was recorded when I did a test grade update.

[Fri Oct 08 10:56:32 2010] [error] [client 140.103.111.155] ALERT - configured P
OST variable limit exceeded - dropped variable 'grade_7135_15698' (attacker '140
.103.111.155', file '/srv/www/htdocs/moodle/grade/report/grader/index.php'), ref
erer: https://woodle.wooster.edu/grade/report/grader/index.php?plugin=grader&id=
7476&sesskey=nvwMT6BTsA&edit=1

This error comes up in http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-17056

And we tried adding

[suhosin]
suhosin.post.max_vars = 2000
suhosin.request.max_vars = 2000

to the php.ini. This seemed to fix it when I did a test right after the change. Then when I tried to manually enter grades the next day some of them didn't save. I got calls from faculty saying that the issue was still there. We have now set the two values to 10,000. I am just at a loss for what is wrong. In addition we have upped the memory to 512 MB and the combination has seemed to solve the issue for now.

The variable error indicates to me that for some reason a huge number of variables are being created when manually entering grades. My class has about 60 assignments and 36 students so roughly 2100 cells in the table (which is another issue in itself, it's almost impossible to navigate such a gradebook). I can't imagine that this number of cells is so much larger than other installs around the world.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Jon Breitenbucher への返信

- Bob Puffer の投稿

Manually entering grades in the gradebook posts a form with twice the number of grade cells (one for old grade... hidden and one for the updated grade) and, if quick feedback is on, twice that many again (two for each feedback).  So, wide and long gradebooks quickly get unmanageable.  Post limits should be set accordingly:

• if using quick feedback, 4 * number of students * number of grades
  • if not using quick feedback, 2 * number of students * number of grades

This would expose why 2,000 wasn't high enuff to cover your example mentioned above.

Jon Breitenbucher への返信

- Jane Droogsma の投稿

I have an instructor that cannot enter grades manually at all.  When she enters a grade manually then hits the Update button on the bottom, the grade does not stay, it just goes back to a blank empty box as if a grade was never entered.  Does not matter who the student is, what position they are in, what grade item she is entering grades for.  Just FYI, there are 23 participants in the course.

She has tried using a Mac, PC, IE 8, Firefox, Safari, personal home computer, work computer, alternate computer.  My computer as admin.  I can do it as admin but she cannot do it when logged into Moodle as herself on my pc.  Any thoughts??

Jane Droogsma への返信

- Marie David の投稿

Hello,

We have the same problem on our platform (V 1.9.9) in some areas.

This case appears on the book with several activities, classes and many students. And only the first notes were recorded (15 or 18 rows) and the rest disappears.

Soon
Marie