quiz scores exceeding 100

quiz scores exceeding 100

by . madea -
Number of replies: 13

Hello, moodlers...

We recently upgraded to moodle v1.8.13+ from v1.5.x.

We've had only two persons take quizzes since the upgrade so far and they are scoring above 100 on their quizzes.  I've attached a graphic of the quiz default settings and you can see that the last setting, the Maximum grade setting, is set to 100.  How can the scores be above 100?

Thanks!

madea

Attachment quizSettings.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to . madea

Re: quiz scores exceeding 100

by . madea -

Did some research and found that this problem seems to have surfaced with v1.8.x.  Tim Hunt posted a comment back in Aug 2008.  Any fixes since then?

madea

Attachment quizForum.jpg
In reply to . madea

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi madea,
You say you "recently" upgraded from 1.5 to 1.8. But those are very old versions of Moodle. Why not upgrade to the current version (1.9.9)?
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Joseph, look at the date of the replies. It looks to me like someone edited the first two posts in this thread for some reason, which caused them to be marked as unread.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by . madea -

Tim...

Sorry about the confusion... the two "replies" you are referring to are a graphic that I snagged and posted showing that this was a thread back in 2008... You had the final word/post.

Has there been any other information or fixes since then about quiz scores exceeding 100?

madea

by . madea -
Joseph...

gun-shy about going too far, all at once... plus, I'm always leery of the latest versions... v1.8 seemed the most tested and stable...

madea
In reply to . madea

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
madea,
There is nothing to fear about 1.9, it is quite stable and superior to 1.8 in many respects.

by . madea -

Joseph...

Are you saying that v1.8 has this problem of quiz scores exceeding 100 and the fix is to upgrade? We have a few other problems (see my other post) and I don't know if we can upgrade again so soon...

madea
In reply to . madea

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Moodle 1.9 is much better tested than Moodle 1.8 now, and that has been true for a long time.

We still don't know why the quiz scores are exceeding 100 out of 100. Can you look at the raw data. Look on the quiz overview report, and set it to show the individual question grades, and see if each question score adds up to the total score. Also, see if the scores in that report are the same as the ones you see when you review the quiz attempt. Basically, we need to narrow down exactly which calculation is going wrong, and, hopefully, why.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Lamphear -

Hey everyone,

I have a little more info on .madea's issue. I'm one of the test takers who first saw the problem. It seems like whenever a test taker hits submit the answers get submitted and scored even if submit was already pressed. For example; I hit "submit" on an answer to see if I got it right. I then move on to the next question, answer it and hit submit to see if I got that one right. I then do a 'submit page' and it seems I get scored for each of the answers again, giving me extra points.

It doesn't quite work out that perfectly for every question on every quiz but that's generally what's going on.

I ran a database query found in another thread here at moodle.org where the person was having the same problem. The query is seen at the very bottom of this reply. The link to the file is below and its also attached.

output

So any help for us would be appreciated. If you need any other troubleshooting then let me know.

Thanks

SELECT * FROM
mdl_quiz_attempts qa
JOIN mdl_quiz_grades qg ON qa.quiz = qg.quiz AND qa.userid = qg.userid
JOIN mdl_question_sessions qse ON qa.uniqueid = qse.attemptid
JOIN mdl_question_states qst ON qst.attempt = qse.attemptid AND qst.question = qse.questionid
WHERE
qa.uniqueid = [ID of an attempt that has the wrongly calculated score]
ORDER BY
qa.userid, qse.questionid, qst.seq_number

In reply to Joseph Lamphear

by Tim Hunt -
Something very odd is going on there. For example take the top 5 rows of out.txt.

Those all relate to a particular attempt at question 21044 in attempt 3821. Now look at the seq_number column. If there were really 5 different states that this question went through, you would expect the seq_number to go from 0 to 4. However, there are three steps with seq_number 0 and two with 1. The states with the same seq_number even have different event types.

This should not be possible if everything is running smoothly. Can you follow the instructions on How_to_check_your_database_for_corruption so we can rule out those possibilities? Thanks.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Lamphear -

I ran the #mysqlcheck -u (user) -p --auto-repair moodle but every table came back OK. I also went through this performance optimization guide to see if it would help but it did not http://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance#MySQL_performance .

Any more ideas?

Thanks

In reply to Joseph Lamphear

by Tim Hunt -
The next thing is probably to come up with a single specific example that demonstrates the problem, and which is as simple as possible.

Can you create a new test quiz, with a single question, and can you find a sequence of actions that reliably causes the problem to happen.

If you can make the probably happen repeatably in a situation that is as simple as possible, then it becomes much easier to diagnose and fix.

Even if you can't exactly pin it down, any observations you can make about the patterns of when it does, or does not happen would be helpful.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Lavanya Manne -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Tim Hunt,

Do we have any option of showing the grades like the format 13.4444/100, 56/100 in database with an sql query, as we have the format showing only 13.4444, 56 etc.,