Difficulty formatting lesson question output

Difficulty formatting lesson question output

by brian avery -
Number of replies: 8
Hi,

I have two related issues that I can't seem to resolve..

Formatting
I would like to know if there's a way to format the layout/formatting of questions in lessons. As an example, see the attached image..

As you can see, there is a simple true/false question with 2 answers and 2 little radio buttuns.

First, and most important, how can I get the answers and buttons to allign better? For example, I'd settle for having the answer less than half a screen-width away from the radio button. With multiple choice questions it is very easy to click the wrong button by mistake.

Second, what to I have to change to get the answers to allign centre-page rather than on the left edge? I can't see what I have to do.

Also, is it possible to have something other than the radio buttons? They don't stand out very well and I'd like check-boxes instead if possible.

Feedback
In a lesson question page (for example a true/false question) I decided to include feedback for incorrect answers..why it isn't correct. However, when I run through the lesson, after entering a wrong answer I'm presented with the option to try again or move on to the next question. I get the feedback for a correct answer, but never for a false one. I tried disabling the 'default feedback' option in the lesson setup, but this seems to change nothing at all. Obviously feedback for incorrect answers is possible otherwise the feedback box wouldn't exist, but how do I get it to show?

Also, when I create a set of questions (for example a true/false question based on a piece of text...) I really don't want the screen to show the entire page again after each question, with the feedback at the bottom.

Is it possible to bring up only the feedback without the whole thing, or failing that, is it possible to have the feedback for all questions show as a summary after all the questions have been finished? For some questions, individual feedback is helpful, for others it can be a hinderance in terms of slowing down a very simple test.

Many thanks,
Brian
Attachment lesson-format.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to brian avery

Re: Difficulty formatting lesson question output

by Curtis Publish -
I have the same problem with format. On some questions I can make them move a bit with the text format but thats about it. Also they sometimes line up on the right of the page, which is just weird, even when I try left align. I only started using moodle recently and Im only trying it out at the mometn but sometimes I cant make formatting work at all. It must be in the css but I cant see where. If you find out Id be interested to know.

Sorry dont know about feedback. Actually Id like to not have any at all. Just at the end of a unit.

Curtis.

In reply to brian avery

Re: Difficulty formatting lesson question output

by Gudmundur Sigurfreyr -
I have exactly the same questions. This radio button layout formatting is rather strange. I have studied the CSS and there seems to be no solution to find there.
In reply to brian avery

Re: Alignment of radio buttons

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Brian,

Question #1: how can I get the answers and buttons to allign better?

See this post where I provide a CSS solution.

Q #2: what to I have to change to get the answers to allign centre-page rather than on the left edge?

Unfortunately this is almost impossible to achieve - in this context - through CSS. Centering a block with CSS is - curiously - something that can only be achieved through complicated workarounds, which do not work in all browsers. A Google search will demonstrate this.

Q #3: is it possible to have something other than the radio buttons? They don't stand out very well and I'd like check-boxes instead if possible.

No. Radio buttons and check boxes work in a totally different way (this is not specific to Moodle or even to browsers). It is not only a matter of display. In a set of radio buttons, only one radio button can be "set"; clicking another button will automatically "unset" the current button. In a set of Check boxes, more than one box can be checked.

Joseph

PS.- Please try to ask only one question (or set of closely related questions) per post; it makes answering easier. I will answer your other questions in a separate post.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Alignment of radio buttons

by brian avery -
Joseph,

Thank you for your replies and sorry for not responding sooner - I have been away for several days. I will have a read of the css article you wrote over the weekend.

Thanks,
Brian
In reply to brian avery

Re: Flow control and Feedback messages in Lesson

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Question #4. However, when I run through the lesson, after entering a wrong answer I'm presented with the option to try again or move on to the next question.

I have updated the Lesson documentation: Some Flow control scenarios & their implications. Hope this will answer your question.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to brian avery

Re: Feedback displayed with whole page

by Joseph Rézeau -
Question #5: Also, when I create a set of questions (for example a true/false question based on a piece of text...) I really don't want the screen to show the entire page again after each question, with the feedback at the bottom.

You may find this discussion useful: Question pages - jumping to the next page.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Feedback displayed with whole page

by brian avery -
Joseph,

Thank you again...will add these to my reading lists!

Brian