Allow students to view each others assignments

Allow students to view each others assignments

by M N -
Number of replies: 6
Hi everyone!
I'm trying to set up assignments so that a student uploads a file, I get an e-mail and can grade it all easily through the normal assignment system.

But, I'd also like students to be able to read each others' assignments so that they can help each other and learn from each other. I don't need them to grade or comment on the assignments, just be able to read them and then go discuss them in a forum if they want.

I can't quite figure out how to implement this. In my last session, I made an assignment forum, in which each student did their assignment as a post. That achieved the sharing part, but it was really cumbersome for me as a teacher.

Any ideas?

-MN
Average of ratings: -
In reply to M N

Re: Allow students to view each others assignments

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I like the forum idea myself personally and have used it as such - but if you don't like the layout then how about using the Database module to do similar?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by M N -
Thanks for the suggestion- the Forum as assignment submission function did allow a lot of commenting and sharing, which I liked. But, it was a nightmare to grade, I had to read through it daily to see who had submitted, if I had graded it yet, etc.

I like the official assignment function because I can get an alert when there's an assignment to grade, and then once it's graded, it no longer needs my attention. I don't see a way to do that with the database, but maybe I'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time mixed)

I'll keep searching

-MN
In reply to M N

by Randy Orwin -
MN,

Unfortunately the functionality that you are looking for, to my knowledge, is not available in a standard module. You can setup notifications in a forum by subscribing and then you will get an email every time somebody posts. The problem I see here is that you will also get an email every time somebody replies to one of the original assignments. But, you can click on the email of those posts that are assignments and go directly to that post alleviating the problem with reviewing all posts. You could also change the way the posts are organized and set the forum to "Display replies flat, with newest first" which will show responses and posts on a page with the newest ones at the top of the page.

Good luck!
In reply to Randy Orwin

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi MN,

I switched to using forums for assignments too because what my students wrote was so interesting it was I shame that only the teacher could read it.

To make grading manageable, I used the Q & A type of forum where each student starts a new discussion to put their assignment and can't see the others before they post. I didn't grade them as they were submitted but on a given date so that I could do them all at once. People submitting after that date were penalised.

I haven't used it, but it is possible to rate forum posts - you have to set up a Scale first. It means though that the students can see each others' grades.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to M N

by Pearl Alvarez -
Based on what I understand from your post wikis may work well for what you want. I use them for peer review.
In reply to M N

by Pearl Alvarez -
Based on what I understand from your post wikis may work well for what you want. I use them for peer review.