Security for feedback activity?

Security for feedback activity?

by Elizabeth Swoope -
Number of replies: 2
Is there a way to limit access to a feedback activity the same ways that you can with the quiz module (mainly password and IP address)?

The quiz module doesn't handle branching, so it's not appropriate for this particular task (a lab practicum with several versions, so different answers for some questions from version to version). It's not even a good data collection tool because you have to assign a right answer for every question.

The feedback module makes the perfect simple data collection tool because we can collect the answers using a plain, basic form then export the responses to Excel and use SAS to process the data and assign grades.

Unfortunately, this involves several hundred students taking the practicum during several class periods over several days and we want to be sure that they are accessing the activity only during their class period and only from our labs. It's probably not a huge issue because they will be given their test paper in class and must return it before they leave, but sometimes they can be crafty and the lead instructor is very cautious about security.

I'd thought that the password protection and IP address limits were a Moodle feature rather than a module feature but discovered otherwise when I started digging around today.

I know the feedback activity wasn't really design for this sort of thing but it's really perfect for it except for the lack of security features.

Any suggestions? (Other than downloading the activity logs and red-flagging activities outside a student's lab time and/or not from our labs, which I'll do if that's what it takes and the lead instructor is satisfied with it...)

Thanks,

liz
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elizabeth Swoope

Re: Security for feedback activity?

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Liz,

currently there is no such feature to restrict the access to the feedback-module sad.

Andreas
In reply to Andreas Grabs

Re: Security for feedback activity?

by Elizabeth Swoope -
Andreas,

Thanks for the reply. The person for whom I'm doing this is satisfied with using groups/groupings to control access to the activity, so all is fine.

I really appreciate being able to get the individual responses exported to the Excel workbook. That's making it possible for me to rework a lab practicum for computer grading in a class of 800-900 students. The practicums have been hand-graded in the past, so this is going to be a welcome change.

liz