How to use grade type text

How to use grade type text

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2
I am trying to get familiar with the way the "grade type text" is used in Moodle. I have added a new grade item from the "Edit categories and items" page of the gradebook, and selected grade type Text for this grade item. This new item now shows up in the gradebook for the course, but how can I assign grades? If I go to the Grader report and click "Turn editing on", it allows me to enter values for other items, but there is no field for entering a value for the new text item. See attached screenshot.

If I click the pencil icon, it takes me to a screen captioned "Edit grade", which seems promising; but if I enter text in the text box and press "Save changes", it takes me back to the gradebook view and nothing shows up in that column. In fact the use of the pencil icon has the same result (i.e. nothing) for any of the other items in the gradebook.

I would be so grateful if anyone can shed light on this for me.

Lewis Kapell
Attachment text-grade-item.png
In reply to Deleted user

Re: How to use grade type text

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Lewis,
If the grade type is set to Value, then you will be able to provide both grade and text feedback.
If grade type is set to Text - then you will be provide text feedback only. big grin

Feedback does not really appear on the Grader report. You can access/edit it when you click your Edit grades icons. (It does appear in full on the User Reports, so take a look there)

If you want to see short version of the feedback in the Grader Report, then go to My Preferences tab in the gradebook and set Show Quick Feedback to Yes.
Note that you will see that "quick feedback" areas only if you are in the editing mode. mixed

And if you Turn Editing off - hoover over the mouse pointer over that column, and you will see small pop-up previews of the feedback per student.

In reply to Elena Ivanova

Re: How to use grade type text

by Doug Baleshta -

Hi Elena, just to note, you cannot import from a CSV file and populate a text field in the gradebook.  We are trying to import our clicker numbers into a text field in the gradebook and it will not work.  If anyone has a solution, it would be appreciated.  Running the latest version of Moodle 2.x with a Postgres database.