Quizport Settings

Quizport Settings

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 5
Hi Gordon,
Sorry, but while I haven't resolved my previous issue, there is another thing driving me crazy now.

I have settings in Quizport http://www.strivney.co.il/mod/quizport/view.php?id=1582
set to no entry page and force resume (see screenshot). But when a student selects this Quizport they get the "Preview Unit Now" page and when viewing the quizzes the info and preview tab is displayed. Other quizports on the same site, with the same settings, go straight into the unit when the Quizport is selected and do not display the info and preview tab, which is what I want to happen.

There is a question as to whether my Quizport version is stable, but if that were the problem surely the other Quizports would be behaving in the same way?

So sorry if I have missed something elementary but I've been starting at these settings for two hours now.

Thank you in advance.

Deborah

Attachment quizport_settings.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Quizport Settings

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Deborah,

the preview tab is visible to all user how have the "mod/quizport:preview" permission. Usually this permission is not enabled for students, but on this particular quizport (or this particular course) it seems that students do have this permision enabled.

If you need help investigating the permissions, please let me know
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Deborah Delin -
Oh I see!!! Thank you! How strange that it was never an issue before. Now I am convinced someone has been playing with the permissions on the site.... So, I have to set the Quizport student permission for "preview quizzes" to "prevent"? Is it OK to leave the rest of the permissions as "inherit" do you think? I tried to prevent "preview quizzes" sitewide with Permissions>Define Roles>Student but it didn't seem to change the permissions on the individual Quizports. Is there a way of making a global setting?

Thanks for solving this mystery.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Deborah,
strictly speaking it should be enough to set this permission to "Inherit". Actually, I would suggest you do that so that everything is standard. This will make things easier to understand for you and others, if and when you come to make modifications and updates in the future.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Deborah Delin -
Oops! I just spent ages going heavy-handed and setting everything to "prevent"! So you mean, if th e settings at site level and course level are right, at the Activity level "inherit" is sufficient?

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
> So you mean, if the settings at site level and course level are right,
> at the Activity level "inherit" is sufficient?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

The difference between "inherit" and "prevent" is that with "prevent" you can't override the setting at a lower level ("site" level is highest, then "course category" is lower, then "course", and finally "activity module" is lowest), but with "inherit" you can override settings from a higher level.

In this case, I think "inherit" is sufficient, and probably slightly preferable for the reasons I gave earlier.

regards
Gordon