Binary / Random / Calculated / Dataset

Binary / Random / Calculated / Dataset

by John Merry -
Number of replies: 3
Hello All,

***Sorry this is my 1st time here, if this has been posted before please point me to the correct post as I can't find searching the site also if in wrong forum please move this thread*** shy

hello again,

I am after some help with developing a quiz that gives random 8-bit binary numbers (eg 0000000 to 11111111) in which the student has to type in the correct decimal number conversion

However the issue I have is when I try this, it creates numbers that are not binary numbers for example you can't have a number 2 in the sum eg 11100200

I only want the 1's and 0's to be randomised?

Does anyone know how to setup the formula for this for a calculated question and to work in the dataset.

many thanks in advance

John

*Also if you need more information please ask and I will try and add this
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Merry

Re: Binary / Random / Calculated / Dataset

by kathy chilvers -

I have had a look at this and managed to do it this way.

In the question text put:

What is the decimal alternative for the binary number below.

{a}{b}{c}{d}

and then for the correct answer formula put:

bindec({a}{b}{c}{d})

then for the dataset I set the range of values for parameter a to be 0 and 1 ( no decimals places of course)

set the same for parameter b, c, d etc

I had a problem when adding the new items ie adding 10 and found that if the one generated commenced with a 0 or more than one 0 it would not work BUT if I added them individually and deleted any starting with 0's it worked fine.  Obviously this took longer but only had to be done once.

I will have fun looking more at this and reply more if I find out how.  Hope this might be a starting point for you to have a solution.

I only started with 4 items but of course it could be increased for testing larger binary numbers.

Kathy

In reply to kathy chilvers

by John Merry -
I have managed to get this to work smile - However the leading "0" Zero not being calculated is a problem as it halves all the possible options and all answers will be over 128 if I use 8-(wild-card)bits?

Am I missing something in the formula to allow leading zero in a calculation?

many thanks

John
In reply to John Merry

by Pierre Pichet -
Use the reverse function i.e. decbin in the question text as

Give the decimal equivalent of {=decbin({a})}

and use {a} as the formula (min 1, max 128).

Pierre

Average of ratings: Useful (2)