Back Up Problem With Filters - Hosed?

Back Up Problem With Filters - Hosed?

by David Mark Weiss -
Number of replies: 2
So I thought a filter was a dynamic thing. If you turned on Activity Name Linking Filter, it would create a link dynamically. But I have found this is not true. What happens, is that an HTML link is created in your course to that particular activity.

• Head up to the week-long forum and answer the question for Tuesday. Click here - <a href="../mod/forum/view.php?id=96940"><span>2-0_FORUM_FOR_THE_WEEK</span></a>

This is a problem, because if you ever back up and restore the course, the back up and restore script will back up the HTML as in the sample above and restore that link. This means that the link will point to the original course you backed up and not the to the item in the restore that you wanted it to link to.

So if you are using this filter, or probably any other linking filter, I think you are hosed if you wanted to back up the course and restore it to a new course.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Mark Weiss

Re: Back Up Problem With Filters - Hosed?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What evidence do you have that it is not dynamic? I am sure the link is generated dynamically when the content is output.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Back Up Problem With Filters - Hosed?

by David Mark Weiss -
So it is dynamic, but someone copied and pasted the activity name. When they did that, it pasted the anchor link information as well. This made it no longer dynamic but static.

We don't do that any more.