Confused -- Is Metacourse still an option in Moodle 2.0?

Confused -- Is Metacourse still an option in Moodle 2.0?

par Clarence Prudhoe,
Nombre de réponses : 11

I have several courses that were defined as Metacourses in Moodle 1.9.9.  But in the upgraded 2.0 database, I don't see any reference to metacourses in these course setting.

I know the Cohart enrollment option was expected to degrade the metacourse function, but I didn't think it was going to eliminate metacourses.

But there is no metacourse option in the Moodle 2.0 course settings for the courses I ported from Moodle 1.9.9.

Any suggestions?

Clarence

Moyenne des évaluations  -
En réponse à Clarence Prudhoe

Re: Confused -- Is Metacourse still an option in Moodle 2.0?

par Mary Cooch,
Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Moodle HQ Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Testers Avatar Translators
Ok I *think* - I am still learning here -you need to go to site admin>plugins>enrolments and then open the eye of metalink - then you can go to a course and in course settings>users>enrolment methods choose this as an option and choose the course you want to connect to
En réponse à Mary Cooch

par Clarence Prudhoe,

Hi Mary,

I looked at Administration > Plugins > Enrolments > Manage Enrol Pluggins and found that the Course Meta Link is already enabled.

I created a new course and could not find any options concerning Meta Links or Metacourses.  There is no way that I can find to tag a course as a Metacourse and then link it to a particular Child Course.

Thanks,

Clarence

par Petr Skoda,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Peer reviewers Avatar Plugin developers
Hello,

try to go to "Course administration / Users / Enrolment methods", there is an "Add method" option bellow the table with current enrolment plugins. You should see "Course meta link" there.

Petr Skoda
Moyenne des évaluations Useful (1)
En réponse à Petr Skoda

par Clarence Prudhoe,

Hi Petr,

I checked "Course administration / Users / Enrolment methods" and Enrolment methods does not refer to Metacourses.  I am using Moodle 2.0 Preview 4+ (Build: 20100809).  See the attach screneshot.  I can't find any reference to the Meta links in the Course Administration (course settings).

Also, I searched for "meta" in the Site Administration search field and there are only two instances of the word "meta" in Moodle.

1. Search Results - Manage enrol plugins  under Administration > Plugins > Manage Enrol Plugins
    On my site, Course meta link is ENABLED (eye is open).
  2. Search Results - Course meta link which is actually the "Settings" under Course meta link in Manage enrol plugins.  The settings just allows you to select Roles that are not synchronised.

I also switch to the Standard Moodle Theme to be sure that this is not a problem with the Fusion Theme that I am using.  I get the same results.

I just don't see any settings that will give the option to setup a Metacourse.  Even when I create a new course, the metacourse option is not one of the setup options.

Thanks,

Clarence

Annexe course_settings.png

par Mary Cooch,
Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Moodle HQ Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Testers Avatar Translators
Clarence - you are looking in Site administration there. You need to look in a course -see my screenshot
Annexe clarence.png
En réponse à Mary Cooch

par Clarence Prudhoe,

OOPS!

Here is what I was missing:

On the Enrolment Methods table, there is a drop down box to "Add Methods".  See the Screenshot.  I clicked on "Add Methods" and the Meta link option is hiding there sourire

Thanks,

Clarence

Annexe ChooseMethod.png

par Mary Cooch,
Yep!big grin
En réponse à Mary Cooch

par Stephen Ogden,

It seems like you can only create 1 course meta link at a time (unlike on Moodle 1.9 where you could select and add multiple child courses in one go).

Seems like such a backwards step, someone please tell me I am missing something.

En réponse à Stephen Ogden

par Keith Dingley,

I agree the method is now more clunky - also the inability to search for a course makes it even more difficult.

En réponse à Stephen Ogden

par Michael Spall,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Testers

There are two Moodle Issues filed that cover this. Please vote on these if you share the concerns.

MDL-29310

MDL-32161

Moyenne des évaluations Useful (1)
En réponse à Michael Spall

par Stephen Ogden,

After so long spent, one by one, adding meta course links (assigning children to metacourses) the RSI is agonising and I just about managed enough effort to vote for these two bugs.

My limbs have now dropped off.