Confused -- Is Metacourse still an option in Moodle 2.0?

Confused -- Is Metacourse still an option in Moodle 2.0?

by Clarence Prudhoe -
Number of replies: 11

I have several courses that were defined as Metacourses in Moodle 1.9.9.  But in the upgraded 2.0 database, I don't see any reference to metacourses in these course setting.

I know the Cohart enrollment option was expected to degrade the metacourse function, but I didn't think it was going to eliminate metacourses.

But there is no metacourse option in the Moodle 2.0 course settings for the courses I ported from Moodle 1.9.9.

Any suggestions?

Clarence

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clarence Prudhoe

Re: Confused -- Is Metacourse still an option in Moodle 2.0?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ok I *think* - I am still learning here -you need to go to site admin>plugins>enrolments and then open the eye of metalink - then you can go to a course and in course settings>users>enrolment methods choose this as an option and choose the course you want to connect to
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hi Mary,

I looked at Administration > Plugins > Enrolments > Manage Enrol Pluggins and found that the Course Meta Link is already enabled.

I created a new course and could not find any options concerning Meta Links or Metacourses.  There is no way that I can find to tag a course as a Metacourse and then link it to a particular Child Course.

Thanks,

Clarence

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello,

try to go to "Course administration / Users / Enrolment methods", there is an "Add method" option bellow the table with current enrolment plugins. You should see "Course meta link" there.

Petr Skoda
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hi Petr,

I checked "Course administration / Users / Enrolment methods" and Enrolment methods does not refer to Metacourses.  I am using Moodle 2.0 Preview 4+ (Build: 20100809).  See the attach screneshot.  I can't find any reference to the Meta links in the Course Administration (course settings).

Also, I searched for "meta" in the Site Administration search field and there are only two instances of the word "meta" in Moodle.

1. Search Results - Manage enrol plugins  under Administration > Plugins > Manage Enrol Plugins
    On my site, Course meta link is ENABLED (eye is open).
  2. Search Results - Course meta link which is actually the "Settings" under Course meta link in Manage enrol plugins.  The settings just allows you to select Roles that are not synchronised.

I also switch to the Standard Moodle Theme to be sure that this is not a problem with the Fusion Theme that I am using.  I get the same results.

I just don't see any settings that will give the option to setup a Metacourse.  Even when I create a new course, the metacourse option is not one of the setup options.

Thanks,

Clarence

Attachment course_settings.png

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Clarence - you are looking in Site administration there. You need to look in a course -see my screenshot
Attachment clarence.png
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Clarence Prudhoe -

OOPS!

Here is what I was missing:

On the Enrolment Methods table, there is a drop down box to "Add Methods".  See the Screenshot.  I clicked on "Add Methods" and the Meta link option is hiding there smile

Thanks,

Clarence

Attachment ChooseMethod.png

by Mary Cooch -
Yep!big grin
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Stephen Ogden -

It seems like you can only create 1 course meta link at a time (unlike on Moodle 1.9 where you could select and add multiple child courses in one go).

Seems like such a backwards step, someone please tell me I am missing something.

In reply to Stephen Ogden

by Keith Dingley -

I agree the method is now more clunky - also the inability to search for a course makes it even more difficult.

In reply to Stephen Ogden

by Michael Spall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Testers

There are two Moodle Issues filed that cover this. Please vote on these if you share the concerns.

MDL-29310

MDL-32161

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Spall

by Stephen Ogden -

After so long spent, one by one, adding meta course links (assigning children to metacourses) the RSI is agonising and I just about managed enough effort to vote for these two bugs.

My limbs have now dropped off.