How does the block Feedback work?

How does the block Feedback work?

by Monica Franz -
Number of replies: 27
Hi!

In the README.txt I found the following information:

"The activity is the main part an can run without the block. Here you can create, fill out or analyse the surveys.
The sideblock is an optional part. It works as a bridge between different courses and
an central placed feedback-activity. So you can create one feedback on the main site of moodle and then publish
it in many courses."

How does the sideblock work, does anybody have a few screenshots to show how to use it step by step?

Cheers,
Monica
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Monica Franz

Re: How does the block Feedback work?

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Monica,
please try the following:
  1. create a feedback on the main-site of your moodle-installation
  2. map the wanted courses to this feedback using the button "Map feedback to courses"
  3. include in each of the maped courses the feedback-block
Now all users from the maped courses see this feedback on the block and can give their feedbacks. All responses are saved in the one feedback on the main-site. You can filter the responses for each course.

I'm hoping it helps.
Andreas
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andreas Grabs

by Monica Franz -
Hi Andreas!

> "Map feedback to courses"

Is that the same as "URL for continue-button"?

By the way where can I get the "autonumbering.html" help-file? I just need the English or German version. It was missing in the downlaod from 12 -July-2010. (feedback version : 2008050121)

Cheers,

Monica

In reply to Monica Franz

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Monica,

sorry for the missing "autonumbering.html" sad. I added it today to the cvs and in the next time it will be included in the zip-package.

"Map feedback to courses" has nothing to do with "URL for continue-button".
The "URL for continue-button" is the possibility to redirect users to a special location after submitting a feedback.
With "Map feedback to courses" you can define which courses (that means members of this courses) can submit this feedback.
This button is only visible on feedbacks on the frontpage.
If you have mapped courses to the feedback this feedback will be shown in the feedback-block just in this mapped courses.
If you do not map courses at all so this feedback will be shown on all courses.
The goal is to collect data from different course in one feedback.

Andreas

by Adam Barbary -
Just a quick note in here. If you are using the original admin created with your Moodle install, you will not be able to add feedback questions or access any of the analysis etc if you create it on the front page. If this happens to you, create a new admin or user with front page editing rights.

Cheers,

Adam
In reply to Adam Barbary

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Adam,

I'm sorry, but I can not see this behavior at all. The only thing what can happen is that the admin has to logoff and login again after the installation.
Perhaps you have wrong rolesettings on your site?

Andreas
In reply to Adam Barbary

by Adam Barbary -
My bad...It was the logging on and off.
In reply to Adam Barbary

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Adam,

I was intrigued by this "my bad" expression which, as a former teacher of ESL (English as a second language) I would have considered incorrect English or slang.

Found an explanation for it in the Urban Dictionary here. One learns everyday!

ATB

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Simon Clegg -
This is certainly no place for a linguistic debate, but I just couldn't resist being a linguist myself wink

It certainly is NOT incorrect English, for there is no such thing! It could be described as "slang" but that is entirely a question of opinion and context...

Sorry!

Oh, and Adam, don't be upset by the definitions in the Urban Dictionary, I don't think there was anything "facetious" about your comment!

smile
In reply to Simon Clegg

My bad, was Re: How does the block Feedback work?

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi there,

Here's the link: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=my+bad

In the milieux I move in (like here) I've always taken it in the 6th sense given in the Urban Dictionary:

"A term used to tell someone that you made a mistake and apologize at the same time. Originally Used Mostly by African Americans but over the years it has become a more mainstream term; so it is not uncommon any more to hear anyone else (possibly in the professional world too) say it to admit to making a mistake."

I've never used it myself but I think I will now. wink

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: My bad, was Re: How does the block Feedback work?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Glenys,
Thanks for providing the "missing link". Don't know what happened to the link to the Urban Dictionary I had put in my post.
You say you've never used the expression yourself but maybe you will now. I will certainly never use it myself.wink
Cheers
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
mmm Glenys, why not just a simple "Sorry" or "I'm sorry"or "Well, I made a mess of that, sorry."

<diatribe>
"My bad" would reflect a cultural inclination to the simplistic and semi-literate standard as being acceptable use of language, much in the same vein as "never ever", perhaps. While I am certainly no Grammar Nazi, see this very funny YouTube video clip, YouTube video I do like my English to be almost accurate.

I would much prefer the English of Dickens, or Joyce, or Shaw or even the Dreadful Dan Brown to "my bad". Equally, I understand that the dynamics of language often drive it in directions the purists would not want to go and after a short time colloquialisms can often become part of the language but not all of them are really beneficial, or edifying. I also accept that many, many more colloquialisms are used in a specific era, for a specific purpose, then dropped by the next generation as being inane, or no longer serving the purpose they did serve. Please look at the wonderful documentary video by Melvin Bragg on "The Adventure of English" and you will get a better sense of what I am talking about here.
</diatribe>

In this short, for me, gripe there are several grammatical errors, a run on sentence and a dangling participle. I am sorry I did not pick up on this discussion earlier, I wasn't really paying attention, you see. big grin big grin big grin big grin
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Joseph- Glenys - I only heard of "my bad" a few months ago and realised it's another way of saying mea culpa - with which I feel more at ease! My latest linguistic discovery is "in anger" a term increasingly used in the technology world and one I was unfamiliar with until recently.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Colin Fraser -
"In anger" How? What??? Who writes this stuff? Some half drunk Glaswegian? What on earth does that mean?

EDIT:
I know, a way to terminate a letter...

Yours sincerely

CMF
In anger...

Would we also have "Commercial in anger"???
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I am not explaining "in anger" because, as I had to do myself, and as my students have to do, you are encouraged to find out for yourselfsmile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Colin Fraser -
Well, that lets me out, I am a visual and aural learner, strongly social, individual research is not my strong suit..HA!!! cool

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi there,

But I love this kind of challenge - and it took me at least 15 minutes on the Internet to work it out - at first I only got Biblical stuff and anger management. Now I know what "using Ant in anger" means. Thanks, Mary.

Everyone has their pet linguistic peeves. I'll never answer the question, "How are you?" by "Good!". Mother Teresa was good, I'm just OK and sometimes only so-so.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Mary Cooch -
I am far worse than that: I cannot bring myself to say may when it should be might! And my translation tutor at university had real issue with hopefully that I have never managed to shake offsmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Colin Fraser -
Hopefully Mary, we may, if time permitz, be able to bring about a fundamentall change to the maner in which the English language is being butched by the undaeducated who are such mphatic and enthoosiastic users of the Internet cellphones and now I pads but who cannot be bothered to use spellcheckers granma checkers or even a thesorus i find that most anoying meself. big grin
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Joseph Rézeau -

Bonjour Colin - or rather Bonsoir,

Many thanks for contributing to this elevated (?) linguistic discussion with your great diatribe. I thoroughly enjoyed the Grammar Nazis video. Just shows the power of grammar.

Syntactically yours,

Dr. Joseph, Senior Lecturer, retired (for better, for worse)wide eyes

by eyshal noya -

How to create a feedback on the main site of my moodle-installation and how to make it invisible to teachers and make only the feedback questions visible to students and analysis report visible to manager.

In reply to eyshal noya

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,

how to use global feedbacks with the feedback-block is described here:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=155450&parent=681194
Per default a feedback at the frontpage is unaccessable at all.
All users in your moodle installation on the frontpage only are "authenticated users".
You must give them the permission to complete the feedback by changing the permissions of that feedback.
# Login as admin
# Go into the feedback located on the frontpage
# Click at the "Settings" block on "Permissions"
# Right of the permission "Complete a feedback" you can find a plus-icon (+). Click on this.
# Select the role "Authenticated user" and click on "Allow"

Now users and also teachers can complete this global feedback with clicking at the link in the feedback-block.
I'm hoping it helps a bit.

Andreas

by Susan Lawlor -

Hi Andreas,

I have created a questionnaire in 1.9 that I must use for evaluating courses in December. Can I use the block method for this in 1.9? I do not see questionnaire in the list of blocks available.

Thanks,

Susan

In reply to Susan Lawlor

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Susan,

the feedback-block only uses questionnaires created with the feedback-module.

Andreas

by Irina B -

Hi Andreas,

I use the version 1.9, I downloaded and installed the moodle plugin, activatd it into the Modules->Activities->Manage Activities, but I do not have the feedback click in my Modlules->Blocks->Manage Blocks.

Could you please advise on how I can activate the feedback block and use it in moodle 1.9?

Thank you!

Irina

by Mary Haley -

I can't seem to set this up so that students can actually complete the Feedback.  I am working in Moodle 2.1.6 I created the Feedback on the site front page (as admin) in the Main Menu block, which is the only place I have the Add an Activty menu.  I then enabled and added the feedback block to courses and mapped the feedback to those courses.  But when I log in as a student, I don't have the option to complete the feedback in any of the courses.  What could I be doing wrong?

Mary Haley

by Richard Akomodi -

Please help

How do I create feedback on the main site of the moodle as prescribed by your first step.

I actually  have same question as Monica, I guess am at the right place but would need detailed step-by-step procedure on how to create feedback block, feedback in a feedback block and mapping it to already created courses. Thanks