Essay questions - only show question text once

Essay questions - only show question text once

Joshua Westerway - келді
Number of replies: 10
Hi,

I have quiz questions which are essay responses which then require manual grading, when I select the group and click the grade all responses link for the question it prints a page which has the question repeated over and over along with the students response and a comment/grade box.

For some of our essay questions the question text is quite long (comprises of stimulus material for students to look at) and due to this the page takes a long time to load and is death by scrollbar.

Is it possible to make the question text only be printed ONCE at the top of the screen followed by each students response one after the other and the comment/grade box below each?? This would seem to me as the more sensible way to output this page data.

Where would I look to mod the code which repeats the question text output?

-Josh
In reply to Joshua Westerway

Re: Essay questions - only show question text once

Tim Hunt - келді
Core developers қатысушының суреті Documentation writers қатысушының суреті Particularly helpful Moodlers қатысушының суреті Peer reviewers қатысушының суреті Plugin developers қатысушының суреті
That is a good point. I don't think it has come up before.

The script that prints this page is mod/quiz/report/grading/report.php.

I think it will be quite hard to prevent Moodle from outputting the question text, because this page just uses the standard print_question function (around like 409 or report.php).

However, you could wrap a <div class="firstquestion"> round the first question on the page, and then use CSS in your theme to do something like

#mod-quiz-report .que.essay .qtext {
display: none;
}
#mod-quiz-report .firstquestion .que.essay .qtext {
display: block;
}

In reply to Tim Hunt

Joshua Westerway - келді
Thanks tim I will look at that code and see what happens.
In reply to Joshua Westerway

Chris Swaffield - келді

Joshua said:
"when I select the group and click the grade all responses link for the question"

Hi Joshua - can you tell me where that link is? I have a teacher giving essay questions, but she has to grade each one individually. Instead of clicking back and for to the list of students 140 times, it would be nice for her to be presented with everyone's essay answer on one page. Any help you cna think of would be great. Thanks.

In reply to Chris Swaffield

Debbie Unterseher - келді
Manual grading of quizzes can be found here: (choose the "grade all" option) http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Quiz_manual_grading_report
In reply to Debbie Unterseher

Chris Swaffield - келді

Debbie-

For some reason I can not get those screens in the page you reference. Any idea if it is something that I've not enabled? I've checked the permissions and the teacher is allowed to do all manual grading. I am running Moodle 2.3.1. Thanks for any insight. 

Debbie Unterseher - келді

I've attached a link to a pdf file (a whole 144 kb which won't upload to this website and I haven't figured out an easier way to put print screens on here).

Make sure you are looking under the Navigation block.  I usually have mine hid, or docked on the left.  So I didn't realize where to look for this.

Then if you click the quiz, under the Navigation block you will see the screen that shows the quiz with "Info" and >Results.  Click the Results to open the next screen shot that shows you the four options Grades, Responses, Statistics, and Manual Grading.  Click on Manual grading and you should see the quiz items that you can manual grade.  

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36561342/Doc4a.pdf

Hope that helps.

Debbie

In reply to Debbie Unterseher

Chris Swaffield - келді
Ah yes, that is it! I too had the Navigation block hid, so totally forgot about it. Thanks for steering me aright!

Joseph Rézeau - келді
Core developers қатысушының суреті Particularly helpful Moodlers қатысушының суреті Plugin developers қатысушының суреті Testers қатысушының суреті Translators қатысушының суреті

In my opinion the Navigation block should never be hidden in Moodle courses. Hiding it is like shooting yourself in the foot or driving blind-folded.

On the other hand, the said block can become incredibly "cluttered", which may be one reason why many users want to hide it away.

Joseph