New to Moodle

New to Moodle

by Jason McGarry -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

My district is going to start using moodle so I downloaded the program the other day.  I cannot add student e-mails nor can I see my moodle classes on moodle.  Can I have Moodle on my computer or does it need to be on a district server to access?  Thanks!

Jason

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason McGarry

Re: New to Moodle

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Jason,

Welcome to Moodle!

The best place for help is on the Support Forums (this is a Social forum). But I can get you started, then if you have further questions, go to "Installation Problems" forum to post them: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=28

Yes, you need to put Moodle on a server--your own server or a district server. Then you publicize the URL of that server so students anywhere can access the moodle site.

If you just want to try out Moodle and learn how it works, go to "Downloads" in the top menu, and download the one-click version for your personal computer (No one can access it, but you can try it out). The 1.9.9+ version is the best for now. In a few months, you might try the 2.0 version of Moodle. For example, here is one-click version for a Mac computer.

To add student names and emails, you will have to put them into an Excel spreadsheet and upload them into the enrollment section of Moodle. This starts getting technical so be sure to give yourself several hours the first time. Moodle Docs has full explanations of how to do this and how to install Moodle anywhere.

Hope this helps,
Don
In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: New to Moodle

by Jason McGarry -

Thank you so much for your help!  I know that our system is doing a test run this year, and they are looking at linking the system to PowerSchool.  I use to teach an AP Psychology class and this is really a clean system.  Thanks for your help again!

Jason