Play embedded audio onclick without player like online dictionaries

Play embedded audio onclick without player like online dictionaries

by Daemon Knight -
Number of replies: 12

I teach ESL and am preparing my students for an oral proficiency interview. I have been creating sample sentences, but I need them to be able to listen to them. Is there a way to add the audio where they can click an icon and hear the sentence without being taken away from the page? I've been trying to use the html editor but without success. I'm not much of a programmer but these are some of the techniques I had been trying:

www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/mark/audio/play.htm

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daemon Knight

Re: Play embedded audio onclick without player like online dictionaries

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Make sure in site adminstration>modules>filters>manage filters and make sure multimedia plugins is enabled - make sure mp3 filters is enabled. Then when you go to the html editor, type in a word (like listen ) -or type in some blank spaces if you prefer - and click the hyperlink icon. Then browse for your mp3 sound file - it has to be mp3 - and upload it and link to it. When you save and go back you will see your sound file has been turned into a player just like you wanted - it is a useful feature of Moodle and you don't need to do any complicated code.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Daemon Knight -
That was the first method I tried, but all i end up with is a 'download file' box.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Which webbrowser are you using? Can you embed videos (flv) in the same way and get them to play? is it definitely mp3 you are using?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Daemon Knight -
using moodle 1.9.8/IE 8. .flv files get the same result.

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Daemon,

I think you should check with whoever is the admin on your Moodle to see if the multimedia plugin filters have been enabled. This is probably why you're getting the download links instead of the embedded Flash players.

I hope this helps! smile

Matt

P.S. If you're into using Moodle for EFL/ESL/ESOL, you might be interested in what I've been up to: http://matbury.com/moodle/course/view.php?id=9 (Login as a guest)
In reply to Matt Bury

by Susan Mangan -
OMG *totally unrelated* but I was just lurking and have to tell you that I have tears coming out of my eyes from laughing so hard watching that video on the hedge!!
In reply to Susan Mangan

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Susan,

Could you give us the link? I'd like to laugh too.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Matt Bury

by Daemon Knight -
ALL filters are enabled. I'm talking about finding a way to manipulate the HTML editor. Like the one we are typing in now. I don't have any problems with media in the "add media player" area, that works fine.

by Paul Nijbakker -
Hi Daemon,

I would have given the same advice as Mary Cooch, but if that is not helpful you might want to look into the third party plugin "NanoGong" which can be added to the HTML editor (I am not talking about the related NanoGong activity). It allows anyone to add soundfiles (spx format) almost anywhere where the HTML editor is used (wiki and blog being the exceptions if I recall).

NanoGong requires JAVA to be enabled on user machines.

Rgrds,
Paul.
In reply to Matt Bury

by pedro murillo -
Hi Matt,

This is out of topic, but I just checked out your moodle "demo course" and have to say that I just simply loved it! Could you please tell me where can I get the documentation to develop activities such as the phonetic chart (amazing!) or the audio-book?
In reply to pedro murillo

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Pedro,

AS 3.0 is open source and the documentation's here: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS3LCR/Flash_10.0/index.html

You can also download Adobe's Flash SDK for free here: http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/downloads
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matt Bury

by pedro murillo -
Thank you Matt! I'll check the soft and give it a try.