"Time taken" in quiz report showing large value

"Time taken" in quiz report showing large value

by Sudip Das -
Number of replies: 2
say you have 5 question in a quiz and the quiz time is assigned to 10 mins. You started to answer . You don't finish the same. Leave the quiz. After 10 or 15 min or sometime after you again try to attempt the quiz. It will automatically finish the quiz.Go to result section it will show "time taken" greater than 10 min.
my question is how can stop time countdown when not attemting the question? that is
when i am leaving the quiz and after coming back count down time will start from where i left. At the same time "time taken" column also show exact time what i have taken for answering the quiz.

Thanks in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sudip Das

Re: "Time taken" in quiz report showing large value

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is not possible.

You need to think about what the Moodle server 'sees'. What Moodle sees is the user makes some requests for some URLs, like .../mod/quiz/attempt.php at various times.

Moodle has no idea what is happening between those times. Perhaps the user is staring hard at their screen, trying to work out the answer to the questions. Perhaps they have gone and made a cup of coffee.

Also, if we did stop the clock, the system would be wide open to abuse. The student would just have to go in and copy down all the questions, then log off and stop the clock. Then they could use as much time as they like, and Google, to find all the answers. Then they could log in and type in all the answers quickly.

If you do want to quiz open for a set period, you may be able to do it by setting the quiz Open and Close 'dates' to two times that are about 10 minutes apart.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: "Time taken" in quiz report showing large value

by Sudip Das -
Thanks for your feedback. you are correct. I have understood the problem.