Student file submission in Moodle 2

Student file submission in Moodle 2

by Davo Smith -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
A comparison between the 'Advanced Upload' assignment in Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0, showing the steps needed to submit work:

Moodle 1.9:

1. Navigate to the assignment
2. Click 'browse'
3. Choose the file from you local drive + click 'open'
4. Click 'upload'
5. Repeat steps 2-4, for any further files
6. Click 'Submit for marking'

Moodle 2.0:

1. Navigate to the assignment
2. Click 'Upload File' (or 'Edit Files', if there are some already there)
3. Click 'Add...'
4. Click 'Upload a File' (this step is not always needed)
5. Click 'browse'
6. Choose the file from you local drive + click 'open'
7. Click 'upload'
8. Repeat steps 3-7, for any further files
9. Click 'Save changes'
10. Click 'Submit for marking'

I know that this allows for some extra flexibility, in terms of being able to choose files from different repositories, but this does seem like a lot of extra steps (especially considering the effort it took me to convince some of my students to click on 'Upload', after they had already selected the file using the 'Browse' button).

I also know that there is a patch floating around that would cut out step 7 (by automatically uploading the file as soon as it has been selected via 'browse'), but again, this still leaves several more steps than Moodle 1.9.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Davo Smith

Re: Student file submission in Moodle 2

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hmm... well I know what you mean but I am not convinced this is such a dreadful bind contrasted with the possibilities the student has (in terms of other repositories etc) How else would they access those other options if they weren't immediately to hand?thoughtfulAnd as you say, if Upload a file is where it defaults to then as soon as they click add they can browse and upload... hmm...
In reply to Davo Smith

by Janice Curtis -

Having trouble with students viewing the file after the teacher sends it back to students.  On the teacher view, it shows the upload after marking / grading / and resubmitting back to the student, but where does the student access the graded paper file?

I don't see anything in the Assignment Administration block that the student sees either.... just the original file submitted, not the graded teacher copy.

In reply to Janice Curtis

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Which type of assignment are we talking about here? If the student logs in and clicks on the assignment they should see the corrected file. Have you logged in as an actual student to check this (and not used student view for instance?)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Janice Curtis -

Advanced Uploading of Files... you know what the problem was?  A "point grade" needed to be given before it shows up.... like 19/25... didn't have to do that in Moodle 1.9 (I don't think)... Thanks for responding.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)