Can hidden assignment be set to automatically show on a given date?

Can hidden assignment be set to automatically show on a given date?

by Gerald Pinzino -
Number of replies: 6

I am a first time user (admin). I recently installed v. 1.9.9  and am playing around with a fictitious class, trying to learn the ins and outs of Moodle.

I set up a weekly class format, and I tried creating an assignment (offline activity) which I scheduled to be active for several days starting on a given future date. Setting the activity to "show" makes the assignment visible to the student. Setting it to "hide", of course, hides it from the student. I would like to create all of the activities for the entire 10-week course and hide them until their designated start dates, at which time, they would automatically appear to the student. I do not want them working on assignments before the designated start date.

Is there a way of doing this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerald Pinzino

Re: Can hidden assignment be set to automatically show on a given date?

by Michael de Raadt -
Hi Gerald,

In 1.9.9, not as far as I know. You will have to manually unhide activities. You can prevent students from submitting before a specific date.

In 2.0 there is going to be support for scheduled release of activities.

Michael;
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Michael Woods -
Picture of Core developers
Hi Gerald,

In the assignment settings, I would change 'Hide description before available date' to Yes. This would basically achieve what you are after - the actual assignment instructions not being visible to students until the designated start date.

And Michael is right, the functionality to completely hide the assignment until a set date will exist in version 2.0.

Regards,
Michael
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Michael Woods

by Gerald Pinzino -

Thank you both for your prompt and concise responses. I am looking for the 'Hide description before available date' option in the assigment settings and I do not see it. If I had, I would have certainly tried it.

Where is it?

I have attached a screenshot of my assignment settings page for your reference.

Attachment Assignment_Screenshot.jpg

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Gerald
When I first read your post in my email subscription I was about to reply advising to use the Hide description feature Michael has explained above!

It appears from your screenshot that you are creating an Offline activity Assignment, unfortunately this does not have the mentioned 'Hide description before available date'. AFAIK only the "Advanced Uploading of files" Assignment type has this feature so I suggest you use this type for any assignment you want 'released' after a set date.

I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Gerald Pinzino -
Thanks Teresa. I suspected it was something like that. I will try the Advanced Uploading option.
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Lorraine McCartan -

Why can't you hide the description before available date for an offline activity? Is there some extra code we can add to 1.9 to do this?