decimal grades

decimal grades

by Gertjan van Heijst -
Number of replies: 4

Hi all,

I'm sure this issue has been discussed before, but I can't find it in the forum. In the dutch educational 'culture' a 10-points scale is used with one decimal. the usual way of grading is to assign grades from (say) 4.0 to 8.5 with an average between 6.5 an 7.5. Both our teachers and our students are a bit aleniated by the Moodle way of grading with percentages or a 100 points score. I've experimented with a 10-point scale but this way the teachers are not able use fractions (7,5 instead of 7 or 8). Although it is possible to set the decimal points to 1, it seems not possible to assign a grade with a decimal. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks, Gertjan

In reply to Gertjan van Heijst

Re: decimal grades

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Gertjan,
When you provide decimal grades, do you Gradebook or some Activity (e,.g, assignment)? If you use the gradebook you can enter decimal grades there without any issues.
To try it out, get a column that is set to maximum of 10 points (do not use scales for it). Go to the Grader Report, click Turn Editing on, and enter decimals grades as needed. Once done, click Update button at the bottom.

In reply to Elena Ivanova

Re: decimal grades

by Gertjan van Heijst -

Hi Elena,

Thanks for the reply. It is good to know that it can be done in de gradebook directly, but i prefer to do the grading directly in the assignments. There, te only options in the dropdown list are 10 / 10, 9/10, 8/10 etc. Is there a way to switch the dropdown control into a plain edit control?

Gertjan