File uploading and linking - endless nested folders in current QA site

File uploading and linking - endless nested folders in current QA site

by Malcolm Abel -
Number of replies: 4
Looking through the current QA site as a manager.

editing Course Fullname 101

Added a File -> Uploaded a jpg called 'a file'

Then went to add another file and went to 'Server files' to locate and add the same file to another area and when I open the folder it presented me with another folder, and another as shown in atttached file.

Also (in Server files) when I clicked on the folder for 'Moodle Features Demo' got the following error:

ERROR: Invalid JSON string

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /html/lib/filebrowser/file_info_context_module.php on line 204

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /html/lib/filebrowser/file_info_context_module.php on line 204
{"dynload":true,"nosearch":true,"nologin":true,"path":[{"name":"System","path":"
(lots more)
Attachment moodle2_afile.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Malcolm Abel

Re: File uploading and linking - endless nested folders in current QA site

by Michael Woods -
Picture of Core developers
I can confirm the never ending tree-view issue, as per this post -> http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=153673.
In reply to Michael Woods

by Malcolm Abel -
Ah yes. Thanks Michael, I didn't look back very far.

I expect what we are looking at is a work in progress rather than a bug as the file is shown properly under 'Files and subfolders' on that view.

The listing under 'Server files' is of resources that have been added to the course rather than files (as noted elsewhere on moodle.org). But for me this gets a bit wierd when I add the same file somewhere else (with a different name) and two entries appear in 'Server files' under the two resource names - but only one in recent files, under the file name.

I'm happy that the 'Server files' area is actually a resource browser, rather than a file browser. It would be good if it was listed as such and organised under topics/weeks - and tidied up so that things that cannot be added are not listed.

What I'd really like to see the resource browser separated from the file browser. So in the 'Adding a new File...' page, in the 'Content' box there would be one button to 'Add/upload new (file)' (to File picker less 'Server files') and another to 'Add existing resource' (to 'Server files', or 'Server resources')

And what about [wishlist truncated]

In reply to Malcolm Abel

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have added a link to this post to the tracker entry: "Have better defaults and documentation and explanation to explain the new Files paradigm" I think the idea of refering to it as server resources (or something similar) may help the understanding of users used to course files from Moodle 1.x

MDL-23309 and MDL-23306

Jon

In reply to Malcolm Abel

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The recursion should be fixed now, thanks for reporting it here.