Viewing Microsoft Word Files -ON- Moodle

Viewing Microsoft Word Files -ON- Moodle

by Aimee Trawick -
Number of replies: 8
Hi everyone! I'm sorry, I might be posting in the wrong area but I couldn't figure out where to post (I am a newbie). I have heard that there is a feature developed on Moodle where once papers are submitted they can be viewed -on- Moodle without having to be downloaded. Does this feature exist? I have been trying to research it but have not found out anything to suggest it does exist. I would appreciate very much any help regarding this question. Thanks so much!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aimee Trawick

Re: Viewing Microsoft Word Files -ON- Moodle

by Itamar Tzadok -
I'm not sure whether such feature exists or why one would like something like that when it is much simpler to work with online text as in the online text assignment. Users may still write their compositions in Word but instead of uploading a Word file they copy/paste the text into the Moodle editor. At any rate, your query is related to the assignment module and you may find more information in that forum. smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Aimee Trawick -
Thanks so much, Itamar! I really appreciated your help and advice! smile I will go check out that forum!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I agree with Itamar totally re the online text assignment. However, what I think you might be thinking of is the MS add on for Moodle here - though it doesn't work perfectly.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Irene Krechowiecka -
I am now editing Moodle documents as if with an add in simply susing webdav or my network places, it works really well and saves hours. Basically I open a document or spreadsheet using webdav or my network places, edit it and when I save that is back to the online course folder so no downloading and uploading.

I would like to do that for assignments too but the submitted files sit in a folder called moddata and I cannot see that via webdav. It just doesn't show as a folder, I wonder why not and is there a workaround. It would be really useful to have this
In reply to Irene Krechowiecka

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
That's interesting, the moddata folder not showing - I hadn't realised that. We have IE8 at school now and have difficulties with webdav and at home I have FF so still can't do it - but when I was able to use it, I agree - it is very handy! It doesn't come as standard though so you'd need to get it installed.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Irene Krechowiecka -
I just got some new netbooks last week with IE8 on and webdav worked without a problem. It's not worked for me with IE8 on other machines but this did so wonder if it's anything to do with the machine using Windows7 or newer version of IE8 but that combination worked first time.

So, how to see the moddata folder....
In reply to Irene Krechowiecka

by Aimee Trawick -
Wow, thanks Mary & Irene! That was super helpful, I really appreciate it! smile

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm not quite sure if it is exactly what you are looking for, but if students are able to convert their work to PDF (using the Word 2007 'Save As..., PDF' feature, or a 'PDF Printer', such as PDFCreator), then the work can be viewed and marked online using the UploadPDF plugin assignment type ( http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=2350 ).

Work is then returned to students as a new PDF, with the comments and lines you have drawn embedded in it.