"Admin switch role" still not right

"Admin switch role" still not right

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ok I *think* this is a switch roles issue related to this http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-23062 but I am not sure. As admin I made a post to the news forum and then to check that students couldn't respond to it I switched my role to student - and was able to edit or delete the post. When I logged in as an actual student, it worked fine (ie I couldn't do anything with the post)
Attachment studentinnewsforum.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: "Admin switch role" still not right

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Maybe it was just the time when you are allowed to delete or update your own post, no?
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
But a student cannot post to a news forum so in the screenshot above it shouldn't have worked?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
the code checks that you posted + allowed editing time is not over yet, the switch role will never be 100% accurate, you need to use real login if you want to be sure. Did you try to verify it again, does it disappear after the 30 minutes?
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Petr "the switch role will never be 100% accurate"

Very true. As far as I know of Moodle, the switch roles feature is there to enable a teacher to see more or less what the various parts of a Moodle course will look like to a student. The "more or less" aspect varies amongst activities and modules, sometimes it is 100% and for other activities it is near impossible to completely mimick the student role.

The only way to really test moodle as a student is to log in as a real (or dummy) student.

We can only hope that the switch roles feature of Moodle 2.x will be nearer that 100% for most activities than previous versions.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Petr "the switch role will never be 100% accurate"
Just found another example.
When logged in as Admin, Switch role to Teacher, the Settings block still displays the Site Administration menu, which is normally not displayed for the Teacher role.
Joseph