Context dependent topics

Context dependent topics

by Barbara Justham -
Number of replies: 1
Is it possible within moodle to have context dependent topics appearing? I am involved in a project using moodle to communicate information in various communities around the world and so the same topics are being prepared in different languages. Is it possible to set up one course so that if someone logs in from Chile the spanish topics appear? Or if a younger user logs in (we know their age from setting them up on the course) only the simpler topics appear? I know we could set up separate courses but it would be neat to do it all from one course if possible!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barbara Justham

Re: Context dependent topics

by Penny Pearson -
Barbara, you might explore using "groups" and "groupings" It would require each of your 'groups' log in to your course using a specific "enrollment key" tied to their topic/language area. I'm not sure this applies to Topic blocks though... I know it would work for activities/resources.

I hope others answer your query too! [I use groups/groupings for a course where I want students to see just specific activities/resources related to a subject area (topic) but students can still see/read about each topic -- they just can't get to the activities other than for their particular group. Students log in to the course with a specific enrollment key which assigns them to a group. It works OK for my purposes, and actually promotes students wanting to do the other topics they read about. But, I am not trying to deal with multiple languages AND activities.]

Good luck!