Sky High for Moodle 2

Sky High for Moodle 2

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 51
Just about finished re-wroking Sky High in Moodle 2. Am loving the new "settings" engine to allow users to customize certain elements. Screenshot is attached of the theme and the settings screen.

you can get more information on and download the theme from the Themes Database.

I am a mac user, so this has been tested in Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Probably crap in IE! smile Feedback and fixes for these other platforms are welcomed if needed.

Regards

Julian
Attachment sky_high.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: Sky High for Moodle 2

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Julian, looks really great. I'm excited to see what other themes the community contributes either here or through the Theme contest by NewSchoolLearning.

Cheers,

Joe

by Julian Ridden -
Already some updates to the theme based on feedback. Fixed the "custom width" option so it works properly now. Same link as above

Too many numerous other issues to mention.

Rather than emailing or twittering me, please provide other comments/bugs here in the forums so all can see and add to them.

Thanks

Julian

by Rafael Costa -
Hey Julian! Great theme!

When i nest the frames on the left side, everything looks weird! Hahaha

Here is a link to a screenshot - http://goo.gl/mQAE

I tested on Google Chrome for Mac. Version 5.0.375.99

The same thing happens on Safari 5 - Version 5.0 (6533.16)

If i find out anything else, i'll let you know! :D
In reply to Rafael Costa

by Julian Ridden -
Now thats definitely a bug!

Ill work on it ASAP and lt you know when the fie is updated.
Keep these bug reports coming.

Julan
In reply to Rafael Costa

by Elliott Smith -

Please, tell me how did you changed the head image. I would like to write the name of my school there like you did. Please some ideas. thank you

In reply to Elliott Smith

by ces moce -

if you just want to change the header image, you just have to replace the file header.gif on the folder pix by your own header image

by Adam Barbary -
Hi Julian,

I have just been applying a few themes to Moodle 2.0, and I have found that around half of them exhibit a trait where it is not possible for me to see if a course is hidden or available. As in the link colour is the same regardless. I'm not sure where to post, but as Sky High is one of them, I thought I'd pop it in here.

Anomaly, Binarius, Boxxie, Formal White, Form Factor, Leather Bound, Non Zero, Overlay and Splash also make it impossible.

Cheers,

Adam
In reply to Adam Barbary

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Adam,

If you check the main stylesheet for the themes you listed, you will see that this line of CSS mark-up is missing.

a.dimmed, a.dimmed_text, .dimmed_text, .dimmed_text a {
color:#AAAAAA;
}

Add that line to the top most stylesheet listed in config.php for the themes in question. In Sky-High's case in the core.css file

Hope this helps?

Mary

by Patrick Malley -
Julian, I'm not getting either of the side regions in your theme. Please advise.
Attachment sky-high.jpg
In reply to Patrick Malley

by Patrick Malley -
Nevermind. Somehow a value of 1 was entered into your regionwidth setting. Strange. All fixed now.
In reply to Patrick Malley

by Neil Urriquia -
when i applied the theme..

when getting back to theme selector the themes list doesn't appear

by Derek Chirnside -

Julian, A nice theme

The settings engine: is it easy to add other settings?

Like colour of the blocks, the background colour etc?

And the location of the columns - can it be set up for a L and a R?  I'm wondering if there is a simple global setting on this. I checked out the page for the Holy Grail http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/holy-grail-no-quirks-mode.htm but there was no indication.

In the left column I cannot delete items or move items between columns.  Is this intentional?

Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Dan Leighton -

I would really like to know how to do this too!

My users are definitely used to seeing the navigation on the left...

by Jose Navas -

It's a very nice theme, but when I enter a course, the side columns (course settings block, recent acitivity block, any block, etc.) disappear. I'm using Firefox 3.6 and Moodle 2.0.2. Also I rearrange the blocks, all to the right column.

Thanks for any advice or comment.

In reply to Jose Navas

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Dietmar,

I can't fix without a MDL Tracker ticket, can you set one up and attache the fix and I'll see what I can do!

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

In reply to Deleted user

by Mary Evans -

Hi Dietmar,

Whilst your pagelayout.css fixes the positioning problem, itactually creates another which needs the original code to put it right!

In a course if you dock the blocks starting with the left side, the right side blocks jump into the content and cover the right side of the course main content, leaving the right side of the page empty. See my screen shot.

Mary

Attachment sky-high-side-post-only.jpg
In reply to Mary Evans

In reply to Deleted user

by Mary Evans -

It could be that there is some conflict with base, or canvas, or both themes. I'm having problems with a two column theme myselft which works ok until you try to dock it, then it all falls apart.

Like you I'll take another look at the layout and see if there is something we missed.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Deleted user

by Mary Evans -

This seems to fix it...

/* @end */

/*******************/
/** side pre only **/
/*******************/
.side-pre-only #region-main {left: 100%; width: 73.5%; background: white;}
.side-pre-only #region-pre {left: setting:regionwidthdouble; width: setting:regionwidth;}
.side-pre-only #region-post {width:0%; left:0%;}
.has_dock_left_vertical.side-pre-only #region-main  {left: 100%; width: 73.5%; background: white;}
.has_dock_left_vertical.side-pre-only #region-pre {left: setting:regionwidthdouble; width: setting:regionwidth;}
.has_dock_left_vertical.side-pre-only #region-post {width:0%; left:0%;}

/********************/
/** side post only **/
/********************/
.side-post-only #region-main {left: 100%; width: 73.5%; background: white;}
.side-post-only #region-pre {width:0%; left:0%;}
.side-post-only #region-post {left: setting:regionwidthdouble; width: setting:regionwidth;}
.has_dock_left_vertical.side-post-only #region-main {left: 100%; width: 73.5%; background: white;}
.has_dock_left_vertical.side-post-only #region-pre {width:0%; left:0%;}
.has_dock_left_vertical.side-post-only #region-post {left: setting:regionwidthdouble; width: setting:regionwidth;}

/*******************************/
/** no side blocks whatsoever **/
/*******************************/
.content-only #region-main { left: 100%; width: 100%; background: white;}
.content-only #region-pre {width:0%; left:0%;}
.content-only #region-post {width:0%; left:0%;}

In reply to Mary Evans

In reply to Deleted user

by Mary Evans -

Hi Dietmar,

The problem with all the themes, when it comes to positioning, is that one need to tak into account the dock module, if it's used, and also the theme layout itself, the config.php plays a big part in this too, and if this is not set correctly, then that's where the problems really start.

One must set the config.php with the theme in mind, not just pick up a theme and use that config set up, but actually 'visulise' which blocks are going to display where.

I'm not totally convinced I have it exactly right as I did tweak the config.php too. I have attached this as I thought you might like to take a pook at that as well. If your are happy with this, let me know an I'll put ina pull-request and get this fixed. I may be too late for this week as the developers are busy now getting all the pull request done before Wednesdays weekly release.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

In reply to Deleted user

by Mary Evans -

Back to the drawing board! LOL

In reply to Mary Evans

In reply to Deleted user

In reply to Deleted user

by Mary Evans -

I've seen it thanks. I'll try and get back to you soon with my results after testing it.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by ces moce -

I love the theme, it sworking just fine for me.

Only thing is i would like to change the header banner, by 3 images. One on the left no repeat, one in the middle with repeat and one on the right no repeat.

I know how to do it on moodle 1.9 but i have to much problem on moodle 2.0, i just don t understand. I m sure it is very basic, so if anybody can help me i put the html include in this message.

many thanks

In reply to ces moce

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

This should be easy but it probably isn't! LOL

What you need to do is find the height and width of the images you want to use, as these are important when creating the container you need to put them in.

Given that this theme has a header with a nice background already, you are going to have to lose this infavour of your own banner.

Also, I don't think it is a good idea to make the banner a fixed width. You can make it a fixed min-width which is better.

Ok this is what you need to do.

1. Add the images to the sky_high/pix/ directory.

2. Open sky_high/style/core.css and adjust the #page-header height to whatever the height of your banner is, and also delete the sky_high background, but add your center image which will colour all of the page header, this is so that your left and right images can float, left and right respectively.

Example:
#page-header {
background:#97d3f4 url([[pix:theme|header]]) no-repeat top right; /*delete*/
background-image:  url([[pix:theme|ban-center ]]); /*add*/
background-repeat:repeat-x;/*add*/

margin-bottom: 0px;
height: 230px; /* add banner height */
border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;
}

3. Set #page to min-width

#page {
width:100%;
max-width: 1600px;
min-width: 1120px; /* add min width */
overflow:hidden;
margin:0 auto;
}

4. add the css from your example into sky_high/style/core.css but add the css rules for the first image like so...

#img1{
float: left:
clear: left;
background-image:  url([[pix:theme|ban-left ]]);
background-repeat:no-repeat;
width: 683px;
height: 230px;
}
#img3{
float : right;
clear: right;
background-image: url([[pix:theme|ban-right]]);
background-repeat:no-repeat;
width: 336px;
height: 230px;
}

Save changes and refresh your browser. This will give you an idea of the size of the container your banner will be going into. Also check to see what it looks like in different screen resolutions.

I hope this works as I have not tested it!

Let me know if it works OK if not I'll help you fix it.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by ces moce -

Many thanks really !

It is almost done, i can get the left and center image to work, but not yet the right image, which seams to go under the banner because it is creating a white gap. But i can t even see it.

I put enclosed a printscreen of what i see and my core.css and general.php file in case you can help me one more time !

Many thanks

Cesar

In reply to ces moce

by ces moce -

my mistake it is working, i foiund some old code i changed that were preventing the third image to appear

In reply to ces moce

by Mary Evans -

Glad to hear this.

In reply to Mary Evans

by ces moce -

Hello

I have a problem with my tempalte skyhigh... since i installed it on 2.1 my blocks desapear when i turn the editing off

In reply to ces moce

by Aaron Wells -

I've noticed what is possibly the same thing. Specifically, if you move all the blocks on a course page to the rightmost column, they disappear when editing is off. You can see the blocks if you turn editing on, but you can't move any of them back to the left column because the area you'd need to click on for that is hidden.

I've filed a bug about it with a fuller description: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-28964

Fortunately, there's a simple workaround. Temporarily change your theme to another one, move one of the blocks back to the left column, then change your theme back to "Sky High". smile

by Kees Koopman -

I use Sky High in Moodle 2.1. A great theme! Thanks.

Problem
In the HTML-editor I use "automatic numbers" for creating a list:
etc.

When saving the document I see back:

In another theme this fault does not exist.

Do you have an update for this?

Thanks!

Kees.

In reply to Kees Koopman

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

This is a problem associated with the version of Moodle you are using.

There have been updates to Sky High as there were major problems with the layout especially when editing and moving blocks. These have only gone through in the last two days and will not be available until this weeks moodle versions have been released. However the problem with the ol and ul (orderered and unordered lists) have been fixed some weeks ago.

Here is that FIX

/* Fix for ordered and unordered list in course topic summary & course weekly summary */
ul li,
.course-content ul.weeks .content .summary ul li,
.course-content ul.topics .content .summary ul li {list-style: disc outside none;}
ol li,
.course-content ul.weeks .content .summary ol li,
.course-content ul.topics .content .summary ol li {list-style: decimal outside none;}

So my advice is update.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Kees Koopman -

Thanks! I will try your tip!

Kees.

In reply to Kees Koopman

by ces moce -

Hello

I m using the sky high template with moodle 2.31.

I m trying to change tyhe background image behind the custom menu, the image is sprite.png

I ve tried to modify it but i couldn t figure out how to.

Everytime i change it the image desappear

can somebody help me?

In reply to ces moce

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

The sprite image comes from moodle/lib/yui/3.5.1/build/asset/skins/sam/node_menunav.css

Here are the three instances of the CSS rules that use the sprite...

#custommenu .yui3-menu-horizontal .yui3-menu-content{
    line-height:2;
    *line-height:1.9;
    background:url(sprite.png) repeat-x 0 0;padding:0;
}

#custommenu .yui3-menu-horizontal .yui3-menu-label{
    background:url(sprite.png) repeat-x 0 0;
}

#custommenu .yui3-menu-horizontal .yui3-menu-label-active,
#custommenu .yui3-menu-horizontal .yui3-menuitem-active .yui3-menuitem-content,
#custommenu .yui3-menu-horizontal .yui3-menu-label-menuvisible{
    border-color:#7d98b8;
    background:url(sprite.png);
}

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Deleted user -

Hi Julian,

First of all many thanks for this theme; I am using it for about a year and it works great. Just a couple of quick questions:

i) Is it possible for users to move blocks around for the home page (let's say one user wants all blocks stacked one below the other and the other wants them in two columns)?

ii) If I have two columns of blocks and I dock everything on the left non-main column, is it possible to make the main column expand in width to take up the available space (at the moment the remaining non-main column takes over the main one)?

Regards,

George

In reply to Deleted user

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

Which version of Moodle are you currently using?

Users can move blocks if the Admin setting has been enabled.

As for docking blocks and resizing the page, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this description?

"...at the moment the remaining non-main column takes over the main one..."

The block regions are side-pre (left column) and side-post (right column)

so in Sky High we have ...

| MAIN |  PRE | POST |So docking ALL side-pre you should see this...

|        MAIN       | POST |

I'm wondering what you are seeing or expecting to see.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Deleted user -

Hi Mary,

Many thanks for the prompt reply; could you please indicate where the Admin setting is located in Site Administration (I noticed user themes, but not non-admin users been able to move blocks)?

As for the second question, you are right: I see main and post. However, let's say main is 700px wide and pre and post are 300px each. If I dock all pre, I would expect a main 1000px wide and a post 300px wide. Is there a way of achieving this?

Many thanks,

George

In reply to Deleted user

by Mary Evans -

The settings I was thinking of is to Hide blocks which is in Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme settings sorry. I thought it was Move blocks.

Users can customise their moodle/my pages (mydashboard and mypublic layouts). Can they not move blocks there as those pages allow blocks to be dragged into the main content area..

As for the page itself...

The percentage of space allocated to the main content and side-post is  75% and 25%. So if your screen is 1024px as mine is main is about 750px and 250px or there abouts perhaps a bit less given the margins and padding both have.

In reply to Deleted user

by Mary Evans -

This is what it looks like in the three layouts types.

Image 1: content-only

Image 2: content & side-post-only

Image 3: content & side-pre & side-post

pagelayout

In reply to Mary Evans

by Sam Geppi -

How can I set the the theme for:

Image 2: content & side-post-only

thanks

In reply to Sam Geppi

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Just remove any blocks from one of the side regions and the main content will fill the space to look like that

Alternatively you will need to edit the theme config.php to set the layout types to only have one of the side-post or side-pre regions