Confused_Wamp & Xamp Moodle

Confused_Wamp & Xamp Moodle

by Nicki Nicki_Ch -
Number of replies: 25
Hi there,

I'm just starting to learn PHP and Moodle. I'm confused with Wamp & Xamp (Moodle Package).

First, I installed the Wamp, got it configured, since I'm following a PHP training video.

Then I installed Moodle Package with Xamp according to another Moodle training program.

My question is:

how can I just install Moodle into the Wamp folder?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nicki Nicki_Ch

Re: Confused_Wamp & Xamp Moodle

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Funny you should raise this question right now.... OK, it is actually simple but sometimes we get a little careless and forget that people who are unfamiliar with the ..ahem.. vocabulary .. of Moodle do not pick up on the subtleties employed quickly enough.

1. The WAMP is an Apache, MySQL and PHP creating a shell that Moodle and other PHP apps, mediaWiki, Mahara etc, can slide into. This can be automatically started by Windows at start up. You can download and install a Standard Moodle package into the htdocs folder and it will run.

2. Xampp is a third party installer that automatically creates a similar install, but it executes the Apache startup through its own start exe. XAMPP can be downloaded from Apache Friends as a single installer - and is easy to set up. You can then download a Standard Moodle installation install it to the Server Root, and it will run.

3. Xampp-lite/Moodle package is a near complete installation of Xampp, Apache, MySQL, PHP and Moodle that you can download and install and get a quick, clean Moodle install in one hit.

For most people, using Windows the Xampp/Moodle package is probably enough to get them started and allows them to develop their own courses on their own machines and then upload them to their production Moodles. It is not a good idea to use this package for a production site, it is resource hungry so few users can use it.

The stand alone WAMP with a Standard Moodle install is, for me, the most stable and responsive install I have, and i would recommend it for anyone with any experience in AMP.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Nicki Nicki_Ch -
Could you expand on how to "install a Standard Moodle package into the htdocs folder and it will run."?

by Colin Fraser -
Simple really, like everything else the language muddles it but you can unzip Moodle directly into the htdocs folder if you like or unzip it somewhere else and copy it to the folder, it does not matter which. As long as it has in a path like [drive]:\Apache\htdocs\Moodle. At this point it is all down to if you have installed your WAMP properly and can configure Windows.

Assuming that Apache is running as it should, assuming that you have tested PHP and it is returning the proper set of information when you run the phpinfo() file, and that MySQL is set up and running as it should. Getting around some of the inane security barriers Windows puts up is more problematic.

If you are running Vista or Windows 7, you may need to install phpMyAdmin, after you have PHP installed and operational, and create an empty database named moodle. You may also need to go to User Access Control and remove some of the security restraints there. You may also have to ensure that IIS is stopped and will not run - but outside of that, the rest is easy.

Open your browser and enter the web server path you have created, http://localhost/Moodle/install.php note the address is the web server address it should install and configure. I do it this way so I can install other PHP Applications as well. In my htdocs folder I have a file called index.html which is a compendium of links and bookmarks to my more commonly used pages, Moodle, Moodle.org, myWiki, Moodle2, my own tutorials -just about everything I regularly use. I also use a fixed ip for my home Moodle and wiki, everyone in the house uses them for school and uni these days so they use my PC as a server..which is why I am setting up a Linux box.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by vijayalakshmi kp -
run through install.php which will open once you try http://localhost/moodle

it will take through few steps, follow the instructions,

if some are not enabled in php.ini file , you will have to uncomment few required lines.

You are using wamp or ?
In reply to vijayalakshmi kp

by Nicki Nicki_Ch -
yeah, I'm using Wamp. And everything is tested Ok.

C:\Wamp

As I mentioned below this post, haven't got answer yet.

Thanks

by Colin Fraser -
Then why is it not running the installation in that folder? That is the question.

You copied the unzipped folder to the htdocs folder.

Then there is a number of things that can be going wrong, and they will be centred on Windows, not Moodle.

Windows 7 uses IIS as a native program. Go to Windows Features and turn IIS off so that it does not start when Windows starts. IIS confuses things as it uses the same port, Port 80 as Apache and there can only be one program at a time that uses that port. Also, if you have Skype on your computer, go to Skype > Settings > Port Setting, change that to Port 180 (I think that is the alternate).

As long as you are logged in and do everything as "Administrator" then it should be OK to do these things.

And yes, you can embed Moodle into a web site, or alternative you can embed your web site into Moodle - that is the better option actually.
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Nicki Nicki_Ch -
Hi Colin,

Thank you so much for your advice.

Could you take a look first at the path where I copied Moodle in order to be sure that there's nothing wrong at this step?

C:\wamp\bin\apache\Apache2.2.11\htdocs\Moodle19.

As I mentioned in my previous post, "lynda_moodle tutorial" recommends the folder name should be "Moodle19", otherwise, there would be a lot problem occur. Could you tell me the reason why?

As I said, by following "lynda_tutorial", I have separately installed and tested both "Wamp" and "Moodle". Everything is ok. The insallation path is like this:

C:\wamp
C:\Moodle19

But What I need is to install "Moodle" on "Wamp" so that I can have a "real" projet building environment to following these two "lynda_vedio training programe" (PHP&Moodle).

One thing, I could hardly understand. If I installed "Moodle" on "Wamp", there will be double "php and apeche etc", since they've already been there after the installation of "Wamp". will they come onto conflict with each other?

Thanks

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Nicki Nicki_Ch -
Do you mean that I could copy the folder of "Moodle"(includ all unziped content) into htdocs which I found here:

C:\wamp\bin\apache\Apache2.2.11\htdocs

Then I tried it in Firefox: http://localhost/Moodle/install.php, unfortunately, it doen't work for me.

Additional info:

I have to follow two "Vedio Training Programs" from lynda.com. One is "Php Essential Training", another one is "Moodle Essential Training for Teachers". That's the way I'm going to learn PHP & Moodle. But I don't know how to combine them together.

1. I first installed "Wamp" according to the instruction of the training vedio ("Php Essential Training"_lynda). PHP is tested, password has been set up.

2. Start learning "Moodle Essential Training for Teachers_lynda". As suggested, I creat a folder named:"Moodle19" in c: drive. Don't know why the folder name should be "Moodle19". I followed all instruction, settings, test etc. Then everything is ready to go.

My needs is to creat a website with Moodle embeded. I don't know if it is possible or not?

Since these two vedio tutorials are the only concrete way for me to reach my goal.
So l'd like to learn how to connect them together.

Thanks

by vijayalakshmi kp -
Dont get confused

1st step:see if you have installed wamp(latest version)

2nd step:in c drive
wamp

extract moodle19

so ur moodle project should be

in

c:/wamp/www/moodle19

in web browser

type

http://localhost/moodle19

you should get a install.php page by default.

let me know if you have done the same.

are you getting this page(install.php).

things are quite simple,
dont panic, we will guide you

by Nicki Nicki_Ch -
Thank you so much!

I just removed the Moodle. I'll reinstall it by following your instruction. Then I'll tell you the resoult.

Thanks again

by Nicki Nicki_Ch -

My first try was failed. Firefox said: "unable to connect" when I input:
http://localhost/moodle19

Then, I wen to the folder:

c:/wamp/www/moodle19

Clicking "Start Moodle", then back to the firefox reloaded the page, it failed agian, saying "Object not found".

Again, by chance, I clicked "localhost" on the bottom of the page. Miracle! "Moodle Installation Page" showed up.

You made "My first Moodle Day"! Thank you Vijayalakshmi.

Now, I'm going to finish the installation work.

Hope I won't be back so soon.

by Nicki Nicki_Ch -
Hi

Why I can not use "Wamp", and "Moodle" at the same time?

Is "Moodle" really installed on "Wamp", in my case?

Each time, I have to stop "Moodle" and restart "Wamp" in order to access "PhpmyAdmin", vice versa. Is it normal?

What is the relationship between "Moodle" and "Wamp"?

How Can I connect them together, when I'm using "Wamp" (PHP) to build my website in the meantime, I can also work on "Moodle" content, as a part of my website ?

Thanks

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It sounds like you are trying to run TWO servers at the same time which you CAN NOT do!!!!

First STOP Moodle in your Windows version of Moodle (which I am assuming you have installed as well as WAMP. In fact I'm not sure what you have done if the truth be known. So many conflicting/confusing comments on this thread.

You have to understand WAMP is a server in it's own right. Hopefully here you have installed an ordinary package of Moodle and NOT Moodle for Windows!!!

I picked up on when you said you Started Moodle (this rang bells) as this is what you do to start Moodle as a stand alone package. You basically have a Start and Stop button (exe batch file to be pricise). So if this is what you have been doing you need to STOP Moodle in your Windows version of Moodle. Then and only then can WAMP start.

Both work from Localhost so they can't both be on at the same time. Does this make sense to you?

If you switch off Moodle for windows and turn on WAMP go to http://locahost in your browser I guarantee you wont get Moodle...you will get WAMP infomation page!!!

The reason you got Moodle the first time is that you were using Moodle for Windows.

Remember that little black command screen which poped up when START Moodle was clicked. What is not made clear in the information for this package is that YOU need to open your browser as http://localhost (or http://127.0.0.1) for you to see Moodle because that's the way it is set up.

Mary

by vijayalakshmi kp -
oh ok
now i got you

so you have that start and stop things also is it in your installed file.

If you dont mind, do you wish to do the same way as i did ,

so that i can guide you in a better way.

I have attached a file,

please use that.

there is no required to start and stop moodle n stuff.

just unpack and place it inside wamp/www/moodle19/

so in http://localhost/moodle19/moodle

u should get installation page.

its 15.8 mb,

not able to attach and send it to you.

check for this n try downloading it
moodle-weekly-19

in this you should have only one folder called moodle.

let me know if you can find this.

by Nicki Nicki_Ch -
First I'd like to thank Mary for her explaination, and I finally understood that "Moodle" and "Wamp" can not be on the same time.

But my question till remains there. If in this case, how could you test your website and make sure that each page working well, when you're building it?

Thanks

Hi Vijayalakshmi,

I have downloaded "moodle-weekly-19". Before installing it. I'd like to point out something maybe helpful for making the next step.

According to the "Lynda_Moodle Training", it is not recommended to sart Moodle for the first time by using the url://localhost, but http://127.0.0.1

When everything was done, I went to the folder C:\wamp\www\moodle19\server\moodle I opended the file "config", and changed the http://127.0.0.1 to http://localhost.

Ok, now I'm ready to follow your guide.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Nicki,

It might be helpful to you if you first check that your previous Moodle install (Moodle for Windows) is not in the WAMP/www directory. You could actually delete it from your computer all together, as you will not be needing it if you are, like me, intending to use WAMP as your main server for viewing Moodle while styling your personal Moodle site.

To answer your question: How could you test your website and make sure that each page working well, when you're building it? That's easy when you have the correct Moodle installed and working on your WAMP Server.

You have to imagine WAMP as your website host. It works in the same way, the only difference is you are in charge of it and have to fix it when it goes wrong, but as you are like me, learning PHP and lots of other web stuff...you should see this as just another learning curve. So take it in your stride. Don't panic, plenty of folk here to help you.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Nicki Nicki_Ch -
Hi Mary,

I really appreciate your encouragement.

I totally agree with you that there's a lot to learn in this domain, but I just want to find a shortcut. I started with Dreamweaver CS4 two months ago, then I realised that it was not enought to meet the needs of my project. Actually, I need a dynamique site. So I began learning PHP, then I found Moodle could help me avoid wrestling with those technical stuffs, but today I'm falling in another battle.

Worth it! Otherwise, I could have not known this place, and met you guys. Very possitive ambience!

Do you know some place similar like this one for "PHP forum"? Because, there's another homework I have to do is PHP.

I think I'm using a all-in-one package(Moodle for Windows). I have already put it into the directory of Wamp:

C:\wamp\www\moodle19

If I have to delet it, unfortunately, I will lose all the work I did since yesterday. I've changed the logo. So I'm trying to avoid taking a wrong turn again, before knowing where was the matter.

Is there anyway to backup the work, if anything goes wrong? Because, I feel this is the problem that I would encounter in the future.

A question to your answer: That's easy when you have the correct Moodle installed and working on your WAMP Server.

Do you mean that I can run them all in the "same time"? I remember you guaranteed that it would not be possible.

Thanks again Mary,

Nicki

by Mary Evans -
Nicki,

What kind of work are you using Moodle for? What kind of work are you using Wamp for? You talk of homework and Linda's PHP course, but what exactly are you doing with Moodle? Are you creating your own theme? Learning how to style elements using CSS?

You can leave you Moodle19 where it is. Safest place for it really.

What you should aim to do is set up a new Moodle folder at wamp/www/mymoodle and install the latest version of the weekly build of Moodle 1.9.9

Then when you get that running, you can think about how you are going to carry your work over from your old Moodle19 folder. If you've been working on a theme then your work should be safe and copying a theme over is easy.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Nicki Nicki_Ch -
Hi Mary,

The project that I’m working on is a method of Learning Chinese Mandarin Online. The method is designed for both students and Chinese teachers. By following this learning system, students can quickly master both the "Chinese Pronunciation" and "Writing Skills". On my site I will deliver self-paced courses, stream video, audio, and interactive content in a live , virtual classroom.

For Moodle

Yes, I'm creating my own theme (my own website), and intending to embed Moodle in it as a Learning Management System. So teachers can use it to organise and run their courses on the site.

For Wamp

As I mentioned, I'm learning PHP to creat dynamic parts of my site. I made a Mock-up by using Dreamweaver Cs4, but it's purely a static site, I need to transform it into a dynamic one.

The tutorials that I have are quite specific, they don't mention any details about a workflow cross the applications. So I don't know yet, how to use Wamp and Dreamweaver Cs4 together for creating this dynamic website.

Sure, "Learning how to style elements using CSS" is a part of my learning, especially to know how to Personalise my Moodle Site.

Hope this could give you a big picture about for what purpose I'm using Moodle, Wamp and PHP.

Nicki

by Colin Fraser -
Ahhh for starters, try not to write things in Word then paste them...you would be better off downloading something like NotePad++ or Crimson Editor or TextPad - anything that can save files in a UTF-8 format - then if you are writing then copy and pasting, it will be clean. Using a tool like Dreamweaver is rapid development stuff, but the PHP should be written in NotePad++ or similar - for me anyway, but I have not done any serious development work for a decade or more so it may all have changed by now.

Your goal is laudable, but one step at a time. If you are using a number of different PHP applications for this site, and trying to make them interactive, then you are going to be a real trailblazer.

The Wamp is a combination as outlined above. Apache provides the environment, a shell, to be able to do the things you want to do. PHP provides the mechanism to be able to do things, and MySQL provides the structure for the things you need to do. Together they provide you with the environment you want to do things in. All Windows does is run the computer and gets in the way. big grin

You seem to be wanting to do it all at once, a sure recipe for not getting anything to work properly. Start with that which you know, create a HTML shell then using little snippets of PHP and the HTML pages, work out how to replace the HTML with the PHP to put it together structurally. When you have that working, I would suggest that you will know enough about PHP to be able to start the real work - making it as dynamic as you can. Just remember though, you do not have to re-invent the wheel. Use whatever is available to you - the entire Open Source community will help you if you need it. As long as you follow acceptable licensing provisions, you will get all the help you need.

Look at the structure of Moodle, that will give you pointers on how you can achieve what you want. Download and install other PHP apps, ones that might do the things you want on your site to see how they are structured. Find out if and how they interact with the database, something that you really do need to understand.

I suggest this as one PHP App will not offer all the answers, (or some may but the fail miserably). A number of PHP apps that can be merged together, to create an entirely new concept for learning, now that would really be important and offer you huge success.

by Mary Evans -
In that case Nicki you need to use WAMP as this will be a great platform to build on and will mimic your intended virtual website.

If you start off by creating a folder wamp/www/mywebsite/ you can start to build your website using Dreamweaver for the main html pages. But never having used Dreamweaver I can't comment on it as I don't know what it's capabilities are, but I do know guite a number of people use it with Moodle, especially with themes. If you can use Dreamweaver to create you PHP pages too then all the better.
I tend to craft my own xhtml, html and php pages, including css styles sheets, by hand, but that's my personal preference.

So Nicki, are you going to get this new Moodle site up and running so you can see how it works on the WAMP Server?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Nicki Nicki_Ch -
"So Nicki, are you going to get this new Moodle site up and running so you can see how it works on the WAMP Server? "

Mary

That's exactly what want! Once I'm able to use PHP, then I can go further and work in Dreamweaver which I know better.

Colin, thank you for your good advice. As a stater, my idea may sound bold. But I tell mysefl that this is not "Rocket Science" to create a dynamic site, besides what I need technically is not that original at all. With the help here, it'll be just a quesiton of time to achieve this gaol.

In fact, what I'm trying to know is just a way of how to work with PHP, Moodle, Mysql, finally combine the work Dreamweaver. It is possible or not will be the basic knowledge that I should have for the moment.

Could you explain this: "As long as you follow acceptable licensing provisions, you will get all the help you need" ? What is "acceptable licensing provisions"? and Where I can get it?

Thanks

Nicki

by Mary Evans -
Nicki,
Just in case you download the wrong version of Moodle here is the correct link for you...

http://download.moodle.org/download.php/stable19/moodle-weekly-19.zip

This is from the Moodle Download Standard Packages page.

License info is HERE

Regards

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Nicki Nicki_Ch -
Thank you so much Mary for this thoughtful caution.

I got it.

Nicki

by Colin Fraser -
All the sites you get information and code and packages from will give you "Conditions of Use" statements. Many of them are now using Creative Commons licensing so this essentially means that if you acknowledge where you got the bits you are using from, and do not sell what you have as entirely your own work then you will be OK.

If you are not sure, and Copyright laws around the world have become more problematic in recent years, then seek legal advice. You can use Moodle, mediaWiki and other types of PHP apps freely and even charge for the service, or charge for the materials or space you offer, but you cannot claim those as your own or onsell any of the products. You can create a Theme for moodle and sell it, if you want, or a wiki package for mediaWiki and charge a million dollars, but you cannot sell mediaWiki. It is all a real minefield these days but if you make sure you clearly identify which is your work and what you have used from other people and if selling it, then charge only for what you have done - you should be OK - but ask first...thoughtful