Grade disappearance

Grade disappearance

by Yong Ra -
Number of replies: 6

Hi everyone.

I do not know if anyone experienced this. At the moment, I am running 1.9.3. For some reason, two classes lost the entile content of the grades in the gradebook. Has anyone experienced this? If anyone seen this, do you know how to get the grades back if possible and how to prevent it from happening to other courses?

Thank you

In reply to Yong Ra

Re: Grade disappearance

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Yong,
How those grades were provided: via assignment/quiz activities, or were they manually inputted into the gradebook via grader report?
Have an instructor by a chnance imported an excel file that overrode the current grades?
Do you have a backup system running for your installation? If so, you can review the backup file of this course for previous grades.

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Yong Ra -

Thank you for some insight.

I will have to ask the teachers if they did that. How would I go about looking at the back up without overriding the current database. I do have a backup method. But, it is not the recommended way. I am running this on a Xserve, so I have time machine running. Waiting for the proper backup equipment, it has not arrived yet.

I will get back to you on how they enter the grades. Does that make difference?

Ra

In reply to Yong Ra

by Elena Ivanova -
I cannot really comment on the backup procedure, but I would be extra careful smile
We restore courses or whole installation on the separate testing environment. Then we invite users to look at the copies of their courses there, and grab/record missing content manually.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Susan Mangan -

Hi Elena, I have a question re: "grades disappearing".  We are currently running 1.9.8.  If a grade was entered (and saved) into the gradebook at any time, it would be stored in the grade_histories tables, right?  I have some reports of missing grades but my hunch is that the instructor forgot to click 'update'.  I can't find any instance of these missing grades in the grade_grades history.  It's too bad there's no auto save option for grades thoughtful

In reply to Susan Mangan

by Elena Ivanova -

Sorry, Susan, I can only help with UI tricks, leaving tables and databases to our developers big grin

In reply to Yong Ra

by Chad Outten -

First thing - don't panic.

Second, this sounds familiar - would it be fair to say the students have not accessed the course for at least 120 days?

If that is the case, can you or an admin check the 'longtimenosee' parameter via Site admin block > Server > Cleanup. From what I recall, this is set to '120 days' for moodle 1.9. So, if your students have not accessed the course for more than 120 days and this is the value set for 'logintimenosee' - you students will need to be re-enrolled in the course. Their grade book data will miraculously reappear.

I'm pleased to see the default value for moodle 2.0 is 'never'. I think this is a better value.