Email Notification

Email Notification

by Carolyn Tan -
Number of replies: 5

Hi -

I have a question on setting up email notification.
Server 1 http://www.kreativestudios.com/wbt

has cron tab management. And when I run the address as suggested by moodle: I get this

Server Time: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:22:02 -0600

Starting activity modules
Finished activity modules
Running backups if required...
    Checking backup status...INACTIVE
Backup tasks finished.
Cron script completed correctly
Execution took 0.112479 seconds

I am using Moodle 1.4 and testing out which of the 2 servers managers the program better.

Thanks for any input or info.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carolyn Tan

Re: Email Notification

by Jeffery Watkins -

Carolyn,

As for question 1, what e-mail address is used for the Admin User?  I had this problem before... same circumstances, and found that when I change the Admin email address to something I knew to work, everything worked fine.

I do not know why... or if this was even really it... but it worked for me.

Question 2:

no idea.

but, if you lookup your two sites using whois.sc you will see that site #1 only has 3 others on its server, while site #2 has 425... this will probably make a difference in how Moodle performs.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Carolyn Tan -

Jeff,

Thanks for the info - I just changed to email address and see if anything happens - I tested email - I have not received anything yet.

I wonder if there is a PHP script that we can use for the config files. I have contacted the support for server 1 to see how I can edit the cron tab? NOt sure if it has to do with that.

Server #1 Appolo hosting.com cost more than server #2 (icdsoft.com). I guess you get for what you pay for.

In reply to Carolyn Tan

by Jeffery Watkins -
Do you have cpanel with server 1?

You can manually do it by being logged in as admin and going here with your browser:

www.yoursite.com/admin/cron.php

Jeff
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Carolyn Tan -

Jeff,

Yes I have added that in. I just noticed that the notification did come in. But they came in  in sections of either hours. I received a whole batch of emails at 2.00pm and then anothet batch at 8.00pm tonight. I wonder what is causing that. It does not seem to happen in moodle.org.

Have you encountered that?

Carolyn 

In reply to Carolyn Tan

by Jeffery Watkins -

Your cron job is probably set to run every 6 hours... Martin runs his every 5 minutes or so.

before you go to 5 mins... check with your server admin.  I'm not sure how many resources running that file causes... I would think not alot, but I am no expert.

Jeff