How many students can the system handle?

How many students can the system handle?

by Sven Cederberg -
Number of replies: 3
How many students can the system handle? I am thinking of moving to to Moodle. At the moment I have 30,000+ students and teachers. Can I import my user database (Sybase)?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sven Cederberg

Re: How many students can the system handle?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
There are installations of that size but, as with any VLE, that's getting very serious. You might want to consider talking to one of the moodle partners at moodle.com about some consultancy. If you are talking about access external authentication information then Moodle is perfectly capable of linking to an external database - I believe Sybase is supported, but again it would all depend on the detail of what you are needing to do.

by Michael Penney -
Hi Sven, the system can handle as many students as you have. The question is, can your hardware handle the (Moodle/PHP/MySQL) system with that amount of data traffic?

For that number, I'd recommend a cluster of 2 or 3 decent p3 or p4 (or g5) servers, with as much RAM as you can get (slower servers with more RAM better than faster servers with less RAM) sharing a RAID array with a separate database server. Use Linux if possible (we use RedHat Enterprise here), as it is fastest.

Watch your system load and add new boxen as requiredsmile.

by Martín Langhoff -
Sven,

we are running with similar numbers. Search for my name in the forums, and you'll find plenty of scalability discussions. In summary:

- yes, it will handle it, but you'll need some good people tuning the database and server config. And wait for 1.4.3 or 1.5 which include performance fixes.

- you'll be happier if you can stage it -- getting the 30K student records into moodle you can do in one go, but don't tell 30K student to use moodle on "day 1" -- get 5K for one semester, tune the system and go for 30K in the next semester.

- use a load-balanced cluster.

- you are likely to find minor bottlenecks, don't be afraid to roll up your sleeves and enhance performance.

- using Postgres is probably faster than mysql but you'll need good people tuning it... actually, use the DB your sysadmins know better.