google is evil?

google is evil?

by Rob Reynolds -
Number of replies: 8

now we have all heard the stories about hwo going is evil.

so what do you think?

evil?

or just a great company?

discuss :D

Average of ratings: Fairly cool (1)
In reply to Rob Reynolds

Re: google is evil?

by Ali Arif -
Hard one. I think google is pretty good or why would people be making accounts with it? (eg. Google Mail)
In reply to Rob Reynolds

by Tim Allen -
"..hwo going is evil.."

What? I think you meant google, not going... but anyways, I've never heard that google was/is going evil, so I guess not everyone heard about it. How is it going evil?
In reply to Tim Allen

by Anthony Parcero -
Many see Google as growing into a monopoly like Microsoft, Standard Oil, Ma Bell, etc. especially following the Google/Verizon anti-Net neutrality deal:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/posttech/2010/08/google_and_verizon_have_come.html?hpid=topnews

Personally I think Google can't help but be evil due to their sheer size and the amount of data that they control and have access to but, at this point, I've taken an "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" outlook.
In reply to Anthony Parcero

by Tim Allen -
You guys must be seeing something I don't, because I can't see any relationship between Google and Microsoft, Standard Oil, Ma Bell, etc. .

So, I can't say if it's evil or not.
In reply to Tim Allen

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi there,

"All power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely." John Dalberg-Acton, 1st Baron Acton

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Tim Allen -
If someone portrayed this in a religious point of view (well, actually, it doesn't necessarily need to be religious), they might say, "Absolute power corrupts absolutely. God is/has absolute power, but does not corrupt absolutely".

Just saying.
In reply to Rob Reynolds

by Bryan Williams -
Hang on a minute! What Google and Verizon (and now AT&T) have favored is the same net neutrality that advocates of this issue have had as their position all along, with the caveat being that wireless carriers should be exempt. Since right now there are very finite limitations to wireless bandwidth this makes sense. I think it's the bandwidth issue and not an attempt to balkanize the internet that is being proposed; my read anyway.