backup Error backup_fom.html

backup Error backup_fom.html

by Leonhard Küllinger -
Number of replies: 22

Hi,

in debug mode i get follwing error code by clicking on backup

Undefined variable: exists_hotpot in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodle\backup\backup_form.html on line 85

Notice: Undefined variable: backup_assignment in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodle\backup\backup_form.html on line 94

Notice: Undefined variable: backup_user_info_assignment in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodle\backup\backup_form.html on line 98

this entries at each module

creating a backup is successfully, but the zip folders are empty.

can anyone help?

thanx and nice greetings from austria

power on moodle and moodle becomes the BEST

tell me, what are you saying of my idea to promote moodle, from now on at each posting?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leonhard Küllinger

Re: backup Error backup_fom.html

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Leonard,

such notices can be perfectly "normal" and you can ignore them!

About you phrase "backup is successfully, but the zip folders are empty", what do you want to say? After finish, a "Continue" link should be present. If you click it, you will go to the "backupdata" dir (inside your course files area). There you should see some ".zip" files. Each one is a backup file. Where is the problem? What do you see there?

Ciao smile

PD: Great slogan!! big grin
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Leonhard Küllinger -

Thanks

i am getting the zip file with folders inside, but wtihout files. So the problem is maybe something with userinfo and permissions. For Testing nearly all folders have full read and write permission for all users.

W3K, IIS, MySQL 4.1.7 and PHP 5.02, PHP as ISAPI, before as CGI

by Leonhard Küllinger -

with a backup of peter i tried to restore a course, this works.

while restoring my zip-files i get following message during restore process

Error checking backup file. Invalid or corrupted

any hints?

power on moodle and moodle becomes the BEST

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Leonard,

that's very strange. Can you send me "privately" a copy of your zip file to examine it?
What Moodle's version are you using? And what are your settings for the zip and unzip variables under "Administration/Configure" ?

Ciao smile

by Leonhard Küllinger -

Hi,

here is a backup of a course with all users and modules (journal, forum, material, chat are used)

i am using W3K, iis, php 5.02 as isapi (same behavior as cgi), and mysql 4.1.7

i succesfully restored other courses given by friends, and imported converted blackboard courses. I have given full permission on nearly all folders for everyone. Dont know what the problem is. I have no arguments on the side variable settings in the fields for zip - unzip. If you can help i spend you a beer - virtually - or when we are meeting. I was at the european moodle meeting last week  - i had to pay a lot (every day until 2.00 a.m)Clown

power on moodle

Hi Leon,

I've tried your zip file and it isn't working under XP (OS zip and command line), Linux (command line) and Moodle internal zip routines.

Curiously, I've been able to unzip under MacOS X (using StuffIt, an well-know utility for mac users). Then I've compressed it again and I've been able to restore your course without problems at all.

I've sent you privately the working zip file. Hope it works!

About the reason of the problem, I've no idea. I've tested my Win32 environment (PHP 5.0.2 + Apache 2.0.41) and my backup files work fine everywhere.

Does it happen with all your courses? What Moodle's version are you running. Updating to 1.4.2 could be a good idea!

Ciao smile

by Leonhard Küllinger -

thanks a lot,

don´t know the reason, i am using iis instead of apache, cause of the security warning on apache homepage. Why do you using apache?

Restore works, so i know i can make backups for the first time, then i have to take a look on the php configs, maybe thats the problem (security in zip extension ...?

Hi,

I prefer apache basically because I don't use Win32 machines (well, I use them only for tests). But I really think that, if I used Win32 machines dead , I would work with apache too big grin. OpenSource, worldwide leader, security, cross platform and, of course, not MS! cool

About your problems zipping files I cannot imagine any configuration producing that "strange" zip files. Perhaps some IIS experienced used could help you.

Ciao smile

by Nicolas Drosson -
Hi,

I'm writing here because I have the same problem. I'm working with the last Xampp (so Apache 2.052, PHP 5.0.2, MySQL 4.0.21) on WinXP Pro and did not change any configuration of it except passwords. I'm still using moodle 1.4.1.
My problem is that I cannot import my backups. I tried it with different courses and I always have the same problem during the check of the archive it tells me:
Error checking backup file. Invalid or corrupted.

My brother tried to uncompress it with StuffIt on MacOS but he does not get all the files. Is there any configuration that I should/coudl make to change the zip-function or should I let the original function? Thx for help.

Ciao

Nicolas
In reply to Nicolas Drosson

Hi Nicolas,

some important changes were done to the zip & unzip functions between Moodle 1.4.1 and Moodle 1.4.2. As I've seen from your backup file. It has been generated under Moodle 1.4.1.

Could you upgrade your server to Moodle 1.4.2 and test it again? Is highly probably that your problem will be out (or, at least, we have a "reference" version to investigate).

Ciao smile

by Nicolas Drosson -
Hi,

First Thx for the quick response. I've upgraded today to moodle 1.4.2, but I still have the same problem. Right now, I can open the archiv with StuffIt for windows without error, but moodle still have problem with it. Then I tried to extract it and compress it again, but moodle do not want it at all. I also tried to unpack it under MacOS and repack it then, but it still do not work. I really do not know anymore what I can do now... If you have an idea, please tell me. Thx in advance. Ciao. Nico

PS: the new archive is in attachment

by Leonhard Küllinger -

Hi Eloy,

my problem isn´t solved yet. could you give me a hint how to go further? It seems to be a windows specific problem.

by Leonhard Küllinger -
If i unzip backupfiles in moodle file folder or on my windows desktop, the files are shown as folders. Whats the matter? Seems a strange behavior. Unzipping with stuffit on Windows makes also visible files.

by Nicolas Drosson -
I think StuffIt for windows is the only program able to unzip the files correctly, but when I try to zip the file again with it or any other program, it still does not work. I hope I find a way to fix it otherwise, I will install a linux server. I think it should work better on it. Ciao Nico
In reply to Nicolas Drosson

Hi Nico and Leon,

I'm making some tests just now! Checking zip files, cross platform issues and other things... I tell you my results ASAP! Sure!

For now, one test that you can do is to run zip and unzip external executables under Win32 (instead of internal library, that is your case). To use external zip & unzip commands, please follow this steps:

1.-Download the "bin.zip" attached here. It contains zip and unzip commands for Win32 (from http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/).
2.-Uncompress the "bin.zip" file. A "bin" folder will be created (it has two files inside: "zip.exe" and "unzip.exe").
3.-Move the "bin" folder to c:\
4.-Login to Moodle (as admin).
5.-Go to "Administration/Configure"
6.-Fill the "zip" and "unzip" fields with "c:\bin\zip" and "c:\bin\unzip" respectively.
7.-Make a backup of your courses.
8.-Try to restore them

Is this working for you?

Anyway I'll try to resolve the problem with internal zip library too.

Ciao smile

by Nicolas Drosson -
Hi Eloy,

Thx a lot, it worked very well. I could export my course and import it on the server of the university without any problem although I did not know whether the unzip function would accept it. It's great working with you. Thx. Ciao Nico

by Leonhard Küllinger -

Hi Eloy,

sorry, problem isn´t resolved. Here the message at the end of making a backup:

Notice: Undefined variable: backup_hotpot in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodle\backup\backup_execute.html on line 48

Notice: Undefined variable: backup_user_info_hotpot in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodle\backup\backup_execute.html on line 56

Name:

backup-4b_klasse-20041128-2112.zip
  • Creating temporary structures
  • Deleting old data
  • Creating XML file
    • Writing header
    • Writing general info
    • Writing course data
    • Writing users info. . zip warning: name not matched: course_files zip warning: name not matched: moddata zip warning: name not matched: moodle.xml zip warning: name not matched: user_files zip error: Nothing to do! (try: zip -r e:\moodledataiis\temp\backup\1101672735\backup-4b_klasse-20041128-2112.zip . -i course_files moddata moodle.xml user_files)
    • Writing categories and questions
    • Writing scales info
    • Writing groups info
    • Writing events info
    • Writing modules info
      • Assignments
      • Chats
      • Choices
      • Forums
      • Glossaries
      • Journals
      • Labels
      • Lessons
      • Quizzes
      • Resources
      • Scorms
      • Surveys
      • Wikis
      • Workshops
      • Books
      • Dialogues
  • Copying user files
  • Copying course files
  • Zipping backup
  • Copying zip file

An error occurred while copying the zip file to the course directory

The backup did not complete successfully

Continue

user authentification is with ldap on Acitive Directory. I also have another moodle running on the same server with email authentification with the same problem.

Hi Leonard,

as I know, such error has nothing to do with your authentication schema. It seems that the external zip utility isn't able to find the files to be compressed, either because they aren't there or because they haven't the correct permissions.

I'm not really sure about how IIS woks when files are created and when external commands are executed! I can suggest you two more options:

1.- Go to your "e:\moodledataiis" dir, and change perms to "total control" recursively. Then in your config.php script, change default perms to 0777. Test the backup utility.

2.- Replace the lib/pclzip/pclzip.lib.php file with the one I've sent you privately. Don't forget to save the old one, mainly because the one I've sent you is experimental. Change your zip and unzip variables in "Admin/Configure" to blank and test the backup utility.

Please, try 1 before 2! Feedback will be welcome, of course... wink

Ciao smile

by Leonhard Küllinger -

THX

now with the new pclzip.lib.php it works. Thanks very much. So you have to visit europe .... for a beerlächelnd

I will promote this serious problem solving thread as advantage of moodle. There is a big evaluation about elearning plattforms of our government to decide for one in austria.

can you tell me the cause for this behavior?

nice greetings from austria

leo

Power on moodle

Hi Leon,

pclzip.lib.php is a GPL library (http://www.phpconcept.net/pclzip/index.en.php) written by Vincent Blavet. It is used by Moodle to "internally" manage zip files.

We had detected some inconsistencies (bugs) with it and we are just planning to introduce a new version in next Moodle's release.

The one that I sent you was the candidate to be included. Now we are just making some intensive tests with it.

Ciao smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Jorge Valdez -
Hi Eloy.

I need your library for replace pclzip.lib.php

Please, send me.

My english is bad.

I speak Spanish.

Saludos.

by Steve Bilton -
I've been having lots of problems backing up some very large courses on my moodle. And thanks to you Eloy it works fine without any hickups.
Great job in solving that one, many many thanks you've made my week so much easier.

Steve