Changing ISPs and 1.5 to 1.6

Changing ISPs and 1.5 to 1.6

by Earl Austria -
Number of replies: 5
I need to completely backup my moodle site due to an unreliable ISP.  I am currently on 1.5 and moving to an ISP that has 1.6 running.  Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for the help.  It is much appreciated!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Earl Austria

Re: Changing ISPs and 1.5 to 1.6

by Jocelyn Graf -
I've been watching this post, hoping for an answer as well. I'm in the exact same situation.

I gave up waiting and just tried it. I'm no expert, but it seemed to work. Caveat: I'm not using all the modules, and although I had multiple languages enabled in my 1.5.3 course, I don't think we ever used any other than English. I'll post again if I end up with any problems.

It took me a while to figure out how to do this, so if you're a beginner like me,
here's what I did:

1. Go into the existing course and then hit the backup button. If you do this on your front page, you can only backup the "metacourse". (I only had one course.) Follow the instructions and just backup everything. Save the zipped course file on your desktop.

2. Go into your new 1.6 installation. Choose "restore", not "import". There's another thread about how the import function doesn't work properly in 1.5. I assume that's been fixed now. When I tried the import button, my entire course showed up in the Main Menu.

3. Find the file from your desktop. Once it's uploaded to your Moodle site, click on the "restore" option, not the "unzip" option.

Good luck.
In reply to Jocelyn Graf

by Earl Austria -

Thanks for the info.  I actually need to move the WHOLE moodle site and not just the courses...  Still waiting to see if anyone has done this.

Thanks.

In reply to Earl Austria

by Hendrik ten Hoor -

Did you checked the following link http://docs.moodle.org/en/Upgrading already ?

Regards,

Hendrik ten Hoor

In reply to Hendrik ten Hoor

by David Brighton -
I am loking for an answer to this as well. We have been struggling trying to find a reliable way of moving to a new server. The upgrade link only covers an update in the same location. I know there is a userguide for changeing servers out there, but I cannot find it at the moment. We tried a mysql dump and restore and transferred the moodledata directory to a XAMPP server to see how it would work, but there are a lot of absolute urls to resources and graphic files. It is fine for the 'accessible' resources, but a lot of resources in courses are not accessible unless you are logged in. We have had error messages with the backup and restore function as well, especially seeing as we have to move the 1.5.3 version backups to a XAMPP holding area, update to 1.6 then backup again and transfer them out to the live site (my web manager is very nervous of an inplace upgrade on his real server), we have about 3 weeks to find a solution to this and I am getting greyer by the day!
In reply to Earl Austria

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is really easy, as long as you use the same software (database software, specially) and version in the old and new servers and the same DNS name (www.mymoodle.com).

Make a dump of your database (mysqldump, pg_dump, etc.) and copy that file to your new server. Create the database user and empty moodle database in the new server, and restore your dump in that new empty database.

Next copy all of your Moodle files (both Moodle files and moodledata files) to the new server, adjust your config.php file, and ¡voila! you'r done smile

Saludos. Iñaki.