Delete student posts but keep first post in Q&A Forum type???

Delete student posts but keep first post in Q&A Forum type???

by Tõnis Tartes -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Is it possible to delete all student posts(answers) from Q&A Forum but keep teachers first post(question)?

In one course there are like 30 Q&A Forums and there are alot of students posts and now the teacher wants to reset the course but keep the Q&A Forums questions.

Or there is no such way, just to re-create all Q&A forums with same questions?

Would be nice if reset course would have a check box for Q&A Forums to keep the first posts or not.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tõnis Tartes

Re: Delete student posts but keep first post in Q&A Forum type???

by Colin Matheson -
I was trying to do this early and couldn't find an easy way either.

If you make a backup of the course with user data then you can edit the .xml file and select all of the reply posts in a chunk, delete from the first <POST> tag to the last </POST> tag and restore from this edited file.

It might be easier to just copy and paste the original questions into empty forums.
Once you do that I would make a backup of this empty course and restore from it for next time. sad
In reply to Tõnis Tartes

by John Rodgers -
I face this problem as well. Perhaps this should be a feature request, but it might roll into one new type of forum, simple Q and A. It would have the following characteristics:
1. The teacher would pose a question in the activity set up, rather than setting up the activity, then posting the question in the body of the forum.
2. Everyone can post an answer as in the single simple discussion (with replies), but they can't see the other posts until they reply.

There may need to be something to throttle editing.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tõnis Tartes

by Aaron Milavec -

Encounter same problem repeatedly at the beginning of each new course. 

Great suggestion: Would be nice if reset course would have a check box for Q&A Forums to keep the first posts or not.

I continually improve content and questions; hence, it is useless to backup the empty course and then to restore it at the beginning of new Term.

Aaron