Clarification re Feedback module in Moodle 2.0

Clarification re Feedback module in Moodle 2.0

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
(first it was, then it wasn't..) At present, the feedback module is available in Moodle 2.0 preview but it has its eye closed by default. Is this going to stay like this in Moodle 2.0 stable release? ie, can I say Feedback comes with Moodle 2.0 but you have to enable it (like hot potatoes) or is it not meant to be there? Thanks smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Clarification re Feedback module in Moodle 2.0

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, exactly. It's there, but you need to enable it.

It's going to stay in CVS and download packages for Moodle 2.0.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
thanks!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Mary and Martin,

I've always wondered why Hot Potatoes had its eye closed by default - to show it's not quite kosher? It works perfectly well in 1.9x though. And now Feedback??? thoughtful

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Mary Cooch -
I suppose it is because they are neither of them standard modules - yet they are installed in the standard install - so ? Tell us the story why Hot Potatoes has its eye closed in 1.9!smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I promised Mary ages ago that I would tell the story of why Hot Potatoes has its eye closed in my blog Moodle Helen. You'll notice I'm currently taking a break from blogging, however I must keep my promise and so will try and post within a few days. (If not, please remind me!)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I seem to remember that the reason is (was) that the original HP not being a totally free to use software, its Moodle plugin adaptation should not be available by default (i.e. eye "open"). A moodle admin should have read the HP conditions of use and agreed to them before making HP available.

This is what the terms of use looked like until HP became fully free to use:

Terms of use: Under certain conditions, the use of HotPotatoes may be free – however, HotPotatoes is no freeware. A registration is required to use all functions of HotPotatoes. If you don’t register, the number of possible questions and answers in your tests will be restricted. The use of HotPotatoes is free for individual use and the use in educational institutions if the tests are available on a publicly accessible server and offered free of charge.

Things changed almost a year ago. See Sales of Hot Potatoes and Quandary have ended. I expect that, with this new situation, there is no reason why the HP plugin should not be available be default in Moodle (i.e. eye "open").

Joseph

PS.- Helen, I hope I have not ruined your promised forthcoming HP story.blush

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mary Cooch -
A word I (as a native English speaker) only learned in these last few months - spoiler! smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi everyone!

Here's a post which might be useful for Helen to refer to when she writes her new blog post
Some of the above post is no longer relevant, since there is no need to pay for an HP license nowadays. However, the part about simplifying the initial user interface is still the main reason, I think.

best regards
Gordon