Why is Hotpot disabled by default?

Why is Hotpot disabled by default?

by Ryan Smith -
Number of replies: 3
Does anybody know why the Hotpot module is disabled by default on a new Moodle install? The Moodle Docs page for Hotpot only says it is hidden by default and it does not give a reason. Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ryan Smith

Re: Why is Hotpot disabled by default?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Ryan,
my understanding is that certain Moodle modules are disabled by default so as to simplify the initial user interface.

Also, as you may know, the HotPot module was originally not part of the core Moodle system, so there may be "legacy" reasons why it is currently "in" but initially hidden.

And finally, probably the most important reason that the HotPot module is disabled by default is that Hot Potatoes (the software that you use to make the quizzes) is not open-source software and so you need a license to use it to make Hot Potatoes quizzes and distribute them to your students.

Here's a relevant excerpt from the Hot Potates End User Agreement:
Hot Potatoes is free for use by state educational institutions which are non-profit making, on the condition that the material produced using the program is freely available to anyone via the WWW
Therefore, I think it is a good idea to require a deliberate act to enable the HotPot module.

A few points you should be aware of that people sometimes ask me about:
  • none of the money you pay for a Hot Potatose license goes to me or Moodle HQ. It goes to the hard-working creators of Hot Potatoes, Martin Holmes and Stewart Arneil, and their employer, the University of Victoria, Canada.

• you may be able to use the Hot Potatoes software for free if you work for a "state educational institution" and make at least a copy of the quizzes "freely available to anyone via the WWW"

• if you work at a private educational institution, or your quizzes are password protected, for example within a Moodle course that does not have "guest" access, then you need to buy a commercial license

• the Hot Potatoes suite, comprising JCloze, JCross, JMatch, JMix and JQuiz, is a separate entity from the HotPot module for Moodle. As explained above, you may need a license to use Hot Potatoes to create quizzes, but you do not need a license to use the HotPot module to distribute those quizzes
In my experience, Martin and Stewart are very understanding about how long the "trial period" can be before you get a Hot Potatoes license. It can take several years to get to a point where you are able to fill out the license application form and pay the fee, especially if this involves negotiating with your institution's finance department. However, I encourage you to do so, because you will be supporting Martin and Stewart's on-going contribution to teachers around the world.

all the best
Gordon
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Glenys Hanson -
Hello Gordon,

Sorry to be picky, but I'm not sure when you write "you may need a license to use Hot Potatoes to create quizzes, but you do not need a license to use the HotPot module to distribute those quizzes" that it's true in all cases.

It may not concern many people, but on their Hot Potatoes Commercial Licences page they say:

The Large Publication Licence

The large publication licence is suitable for publishing companies who wish to distribute material made using Hot Potatoes with a publication, on CD-ROM or perhaps on a floppy disk. The typical case would be a textbook publisher distributing a CD of exercises with an edition of a textbook.

Personally, I think their USD $ 100.00 single user licence fee is very reasonable for those working in economically developed countries.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Glenys,
good point. Thanks for the clarification. 

I heartily agree the HP license fee is a very good value for money. 
Gordon