upgrade woes

upgrade woes

by Diana Clarke -
Number of replies: 3
The server admin changed something that "broke" Moodle, so I decided that it would be a good time to upgrade (after they repaired the server hiccup) Moodle is working, but... The users that were enrolled in various courses are no longer enrolled. I did get several error messages as I upgraded, although each page - at the end - said "SUCESS" My site is here: http://rmhs.d214.org/moodle/

I am doing a presentation on the Leader's Moodle (done by the PE teacher in my high school) this coming Friday... I've GOT to get it back up and working. Any and all suggestions will be welcome and attempted!

Thanks in advance!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Diana Clarke

Re: upgrade woes

by R Holden -

Diana,  Did you copy the error messages?  If yes, please post them here.  This could be a problem with the access permissions on the files and folders on the server.  Is this running on a linux, macos or windows server?

If Linux or MacOS 10+,  have your server admin check the permissions on the moodle files and folders to make sure that when the server 'broke' that some of the permissions didn't get changed back to 'root'.

Good luck!

In reply to R Holden

by Diana Clarke -
Here is the FIRST and only web page that I saved as the update progressed. There were others, but I didn't save them because at the bottom of the page, it always said, "SUCCESS"

I will check with the server admin regarding permissions, although they are generally pretty careful about that. Previous problems! They recent changed access from WebDav to FTP and that caused many problems.

It is running on an XServe running OS X Server (not client)

Thanks for you attention to my problems. I hope we can fix it before the conference presentation on Friday!
In reply to Diana Clarke

by R Holden -

Diana,

Here is a sample of the code in your PDF file:

1044: Access denied for user: 'webmaster@%' to database 'moodle'

adodb_mysql._execute(ALTER TABLE mdl_user ADD maildigest tinyint DEFAULT '0' not nul..., false)

% line 804, file: adodb.inc.php

adodb_mysql.execute(ALTER TABLE mdl_user ADD maildigest tinyint DEFAULT '0' not nul...)

% line 24, file: datalib.php

execute_sql(ALTER TABLE mdl_user ADD maildigest tinyint DEFAULT '0' not nul...)

% line 138, file: datalib.php

table_column(user, , maildigest, tinyint, 1, , 0, not null, mailformat)

% line 780, file: mysql.php

main_upgrade(2004052501)

% line 161, file: index.php

Error

This almost certainly looks like a permissions problem.  During the update, it appears that the username and password in your 'configuration.php' file no longer has the rights to update the mysql database (which essentially file located on the server).  So, I would show the server admin the PDF file and ask him to check the permissions on the mysql database files (typically NOT under the moodle directory) as well as the files under your moodle directory.