using a windows share for moodledata directory

using a windows share for moodledata directory

by harnish patel -
Number of replies: 2
hey folks,

so my lay out is as follows:

2 web servers (IIS 6)
1 database server (SQL 2k5)

the webservers are behind a hardware load balancer. i've successfully gotten moodle to work in a single webserver configuration, but i'm seeing an issue when trying to use a UNC path for the moodledata directory instead of 'c:\moodledata' - i've set up a share and have given the user that IIS runs our moodle site under full access to the remote share that is hosting the moodledata folder.

i then mapped a drive letter to that remote host so that i could as closely match the local configuration as possible but still no joy.

the error i'm seeing is:"ERROR: You need to create the directory 'm:\moodledata' with web server write access"

am i missing something? i can give everyone full access to that share and i still get the same error. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to harnish patel

Re: using a windows share for moodledata directory

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Don't know myself, Harnish, but if you get a solution please can you post it so that we can all see. That would be greatly appreciated. Cheers..
In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: using a windows share for moodledata directory

by harnish patel -
All right - so I figured it out. Within your config.php file, you have to specify the UNC share with an extra slash - such as

$CFG->dataroot = '\\\<SERVER>\moodledata';

Apparently, the first slash lets php know that the next part is a literal string. Once I did this, everything worked perfectly. Also - there should not be a slash at the end of the data folder. You'll see a blank page if you do.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)