Multilingual Profile Form

Multilingual Profile Form

by Emily McCarthy -
Number of replies: 3
hello,
I have an issue that I cannot seem to figure out.
I have multilingual site, and when a new user selects another language from English the log-in pages switches languages but the profile form defaults back to English.
Is there any way around this?
thanks
emily
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emily McCarthy

Re: Multilingual Profile Form

by Heikki Wilenius -
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the language selection should work like this, at least in Moodle 1.9.x:

* The initial language preference is detected based on your browser settings.
* The drop-down language selection is for the current session only.
* The language preference in the user profile is saved permanently, but only comes to effect after the user logs in, it's not saved in a cookie or something.

Please give us a more detailed description if you don't get the behavior described above.
In reply to Heikki Wilenius

by Emily McCarthy -
Sorry that I wasn't more descriptive. Here is what I am trying to do:
I have one course in two languages, Spanish and English. Everything works great in the course itself, but the log in and user profile form is where my issue is occurring.
I understand by adding to the url or selecting the language in the drop down box I can make the log in screen in either language. However, the issue occurs when a student is first logging in and needs to fill out the profile form. If the first time user selects the Spanish, the screen to log in is in Spanish, but the first time user must fill out the profile form which defaults to English. Is there a way that if the language on the log in screen is Spanish to make the profile form Spanish?

"* The language preference in the user profile is saved permanently, but only comes to effect after the user logs in, it's not saved in a cookie or something." - Does this mean that the user must use the default language before they officially log in?
In reply to Emily McCarthy

by Heikki Wilenius -
Hmm, that's a tough one. We have student information synced automatically, so they don't need to add any profile details on their initial login, so I haven't encountered that problem personally.

If the profile page is shown in a different language than the one the user has just chosen, that sounds like a bug? Anybody else want to comment?

My institution used to use WebCT 6, which had a similar problem – the first time user logged in, s/he had to change the profile settings in the default language – in our case Finnish. What I did was make separate instructions for the students who don't speak Finnish, describing click by click what to do. I know that is a very unsatisfactory solution to the problem, but it worked adequately for us back then.

Cheers,
Heikki