Moodle v1.9.8+ Gradebook unable to show grades.

Moodle v1.9.8+ Gradebook unable to show grades.

by daniel C -
Number of replies: 13
Hi all, just started using Moodle and was testing out it's features liked most of them and had very little problems.

One of them which is rather crucial would be grading and it seems that after grading a student on a quiz, the grades show up blank. I've made screenshot of what has happened after the student has been graded for a test. But after checking the database in phpmyadmin, it shows up as NULL. I haven't hidden any of the values unless it is by default in Moodle. Any help will be greatly Appreciated.

P.S. I made another post in the general section before this and didn't know that there was one already here, can someone please close that thread?

Thanks!
Daniel
Attachment Gradebook.png
In reply to daniel C

Re: Moodle v1.9.8+ Gradebook unable to show grades.

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Daniel,
Can you please post screenshots of Categories and Items, and may be Grader report too?
You course total is also blank. You should see a range there at least.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by daniel C -
Hey Elena, Thanks for responding! I've been trying to fix this for a week. Anyway this was the grader report after logging in as admin.
For some reason it also turned out blank. As for categories and Items, do you mean the settings for the course?
Just don't want to spam the thread with screenshots.
Attachment Grader_report.png
In reply to daniel C

by Michele Mason -

It doesn't appear that anyone (Admin user) has actually completed any of the quizzes.

Michele

In reply to Michele Mason

by daniel C -
Hey Michelle, the above screenshot is the graders report and by right (If I'm correct), there shouldn't be done by the admin user since that role is the one grading the quiz.

But what you brought up is what I'm finding this situation to be weird.

The situation I'm facing is that the student user completed the quiz and the admin graded it, but for some reason, it's not been registered not even in the grader report, but it appears when I check the individual assignments and the grades appear. Here's the screenshot.

Has this happen to anyone before? Also thanks for asking I actually asked myself that a couple of times...
Attachment Screenshot1.png
In reply to daniel C

by Michele Mason -

Hi Daniel

In the first screeen shot it shows the Admin user as if this account is a student so the first thing to do is check in the course under Administration "Assign roles" and make sure Admin User is not assigned the role of student at this course level, I know this may sound basic but sometimes new Moodle admins assign themselves all types of roles inside the courses and don't realise this is not necessary. The Admin role should only be at Site level (they should not be visible at course level) but teachers and students should be at course level.

Now check that you have set your quiz and questions up correctly i.e. scores and the type of grading. Also check to make sure you have put your formulas in for the course totals this is done in the Grades> Items and Categories window (from memory I think this is what it is called) and beside the Course Totals to the right side of the screen is a small calculator icon where you can set the formula. See Moodle.org documents and search for Grades to get help with these.

Can you tell me which of the 3 quizzes did dc complete?

In reply to Michele Mason

by daniel C -
Hey Michele,

Appreciate such a fast response

The first screenshot was from the student user d c whereas the later screen shots are from the admin user (I left it as Admin). Maybe I should change it to student. Sorry for the mess-up.

Checked for a Grades > Items and Categories, but couldn't find any. The closest I could find were two categories.

grade category settings
grade item settings
(I've posted the screenshots at the bottom post.)

checked both of them but it didn't have any calculator Icon you mentioned. Could it be in another area?

Technically d c completed 2 quizes and 1 Lesson which had a graded quiz inside.

Quizes: Montage, an 1
Lesson (With graded quiz): full test
In reply to daniel C

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Daniel,
Do you have Admin privileges?
If so, please locate Site Administration block for your whole installation.
Go to Grades > General Settings.
Make sure that only Student role is selected (uncheck Admins, check Students)
Save changes.
Review your gradebook (Grader report in the Course) again to see your students.

Categories and Items interface is located in your course Grades area - this is where you can set up aggregation methods, add columns, etc.
So, please go to Course > Administration block > Grades > Categories and Items.
Make a screenshot of that interface.
Attachment 16Scr_May._18_09.17.jpg

by daniel C -
Hey Elena,

Thanks for replying so fast

Checked the student, but the results still didn't appear. Like I mentioned in the above post, I couldn't find a Categories and Items and the closest were two separate categories.

Screenshot for category settings.
Attachment Grade_category_settings.png

by daniel C -
Here's the settings for grade item settings. Could it be I'm missing one whole file for categories and Items?
Attachment Grade_item_settings.png
In reply to daniel C

Moodle v1.9.8+ Gradebook unable to show grades Resolved.

by daniel C -
Hey everyone thanks for helping me out there. Didn't occur to me to also select Minimum and Maximum grade.

That managed to solve the problem. Thanks and sorry for taking up your time.
Noobish mistake = 1 week
sigh...
But I still wasn't able to find what Michele said that will allow me to use a formula that will enable me to adjust the weightings for the gradings.

Thanks a lot by the way. Daniel
In reply to daniel C

Re: Moodle v1.9.8+ Gradebook unable to show grades Resolved.

by Michele Mason -

Okay I'll attempt to lead you in the right direction.

From the front page of the course under Administration click on Grades, select the tab 'Categories and Items', scroll to the bottom if the page is longer that what you can view on your screen untill you see what I have shown at the top of the attached image (Categories and Iterms view). Click the small calculator then follow the instructions shown in the second part of the attached image.

Let me know how you get on.

Kia ora

Michele

Attachment Gradebook.gif
In reply to daniel C

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Daniel,
Those are Site Administration (installation) settings.
When I mentioned the Student checkbox - it had to be done on the level of the installation, indeed.

But when I was talking about "categories and items", please go to the level of the course instead, locate "Administration" block there, and go to "Grades". This is where you will find them. Most probably you will drop-down menu in the upper left corner of grades area. (you can switch to tab view instead later, it is more user friendly)
In the same course level, please review what role (via Administration > Assign roles), your "fake" "d c"student has. It needs to be a Student role smile

This is a sample screenshot of Categories and Items. You will see Weights column if you use Weighted Mean of Grades aggregation method for your course or sub-any category.

p.s. just in case, make sure to add people to the level of courses via "Administration" blocks in courses, not to the level of installation in "Site Administration" block. Only admins should be added to the level of installation. (this is what Michelle also mentioned)

Moodle v1.9.8+ Gradebook unable to show grades. Resolved

by daniel C -
Okay thanks to both of your, finally found the 'categories and items'. I wouldn't have guessed about the categories and items being placed in a drop-down list and I definitely prefer a tab view than a drop down list.

Once again thanks for helping me out of this pitch!