XP to Mac 10.6.3 Migration Trouble

XP to Mac 10.6.3 Migration Trouble

by Reid Tyson -
Number of replies: 4
I am migrating a recently updated Moodle site (1.9.8) running on an XP computer to a Mac using 10.6.3. I have installed XAMPP and transferred moodle, moodledata and mysql dump, as written in the migration document (including modifying the config file). XAMPP and phpmyadmin are running fine through the web browser. The error screen is attached. Thanks for any assistance!

error.png
error.png
Attachment error.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Reid Tyson

Re: XP to Mac 10.6.3 Migration Trouble

by Ralf Krause -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Your XAMPP does not use the correct user rights. The directory moodledata and all its subfolders should get the owner "nobody".

Ralf
In reply to Ralf Krause

by Reid Tyson -
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have gotten the site to work by doing the following:

sudo chmod -R 777 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/moodle &
sudo chmod -R 777 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/moodledata

I tried a variety of other permissions that did not work (700, 766, 776). My concern now is security. I looked in the httpd.conf file and saw that the user is nobody- but I do not see nobody as a user- slightly confused here? Thanks for any help!!
In reply to Reid Tyson

by Reid Tyson -

I think I may have my solution (with the above help):

Sudo chown nobody /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/moodledata

I believe that this will change the ownership of moodledata to nobody.  What permissions should I set htdocs/moodle and moodledata?  Thanks!

In reply to Reid Tyson

by Ralf Krause -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
You should change the owner of the moodle folders recursively.

sudo chown -R nobody:nobody /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/moodledata
sudo chown -R nobody:nobody /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/moodle

Also you may set the permissions only of the moodle folder (not recursively!)

sudo chmod 700 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/moodledata
sudo chmod 500 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/moodle
sudo chmod 400 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/moodle/config.php

You must allow the web server to write, read, and execute in moodledata (so it should be 700) The web server must not add anything in the moodle folder (500) and the config.php must not be changed anymore (400).

If a user uploads a file or creates a folder then the permissions of these things are set to 777 inside the moodledata folder ... the permission of the new folder and also that of the new file!

Ralf