Banner plugin help required

Banner plugin help required

by John Skelton -
Number of replies: 4
I am looking to integrate our college's Moodle installation with Banner using the Banner/Luminis Message Broker plugin.

I'm not overly familiar with Banner (a separate team operates it here as it currently works with our Blackboard installation). I've been told that our Banner currently generates CSV files for use with Blackboard.

Could someone give me some example XML files perhaps so I can give our Banner guys an idea of what we need to extract for use with Moodle?

Thanks,

John

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Skelton

Re: Banner plugin help required

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi John,

I'm in the middle of managing a project which has used this integration as a core part of the implementation, and although I can't give you a sample file I can say that you need to use the Luminis Message Broker for Banner to send out its 'standard' format of XML and this should work without any changes in the Moodle integration code. No idea how you'd go about getting a comprehensive sample of the output format of Luminis XML as even when we were trying to test it it took a while to get a list of all the different kinds of events that Banner might trigger throughout its processes - if there is a magical blueprint for the XML then I'd be speaking to the Banner folks to get it as they would be the ones who would know best.

If in doubt then check out the documentation provided with the Banner integrator - it gave us enough information to get going. I will say that since we got the integration sorted out and made some local modifications for the client then it has (so far) worked really well.

Hope this helps,

Mark.
In reply to Mark Drechsler

by John Skelton -
I'm waiting for word back from our Banner guys but I'm fairly sure we don't have access to the Luminis Message Broker.

As I understand it we need to run the ICGORLDI process in Banner to produce a XML file that the plug-in can read?

At this point I'm just gathering as much information as I can for a meeting with the Banner guys next week to find the best possible solution.
In reply to John Skelton

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi John,

I *think* that there are two separate feeds:
  1. The first is the ICGORDLI extract which does the initial population of data in Moodle and is a 'once off' task, and then
  2. The XML feed from Luminis Message Broker, which sends 'real time' updates into Moodle as they occur in Banner.
I think that was how it worked anyway!

Mark.
In reply to John Skelton

by Clark Moodler -
Dear all,

In order to facilitate communication among a group of people/institutions using the Banner/Luminis Message Broker plugin to integrate Banner with Moodle, I've set up a Google Group mailing list:

http://groups.google.com/group/banner-moodle/

I invite people who work closely with the administration and maintenance of Moodle AND the Banner/LMB plugin to join so that we can share information, troubleshoot, and further the development of the plugin as Moodle and Banner upgrade to various new versions. Please spread the word to other LMB/Moodle using colleagues!

Best,
Clark Shah-Nelson