High CPU usage

High CPU usage

by José de Jesús -
Number of replies: 10

Paz y Bien.

Moodlers:

My provider of hosting has sent me this mail.

• Your hosting account profeliza has been warned due to high CPU usage - it has reached the limit allowed by your hosting plan.
  • Your plan is allowed to use: 7 % CPU average.
  • Your account has used: 8.04 % CPU average the last 3 days.
  • Your account will be automaticaly blocked if you use more CPU load than your plan is allowed in the next 48 hours.
  • If you have any questions please open a new support ticket from the Help section of the Control Panel.

Moodle can make a robust use to the servant, I have more three years administering Moodle and from one week I have been with this problem.

They can help me. Thank you very much.

Greetings.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to José de Jesús

Re: High CPU usage

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I don't know what sort of a CPU the said machine has, but 7% CPU doesn't sound very promising!

Ask the people in the "Hardware and Performance" forum http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=596 - don't forget to check the docs http://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance and http://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance_FAQ beforehand.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Just moving this discussion to the hardware and performance forum as suggested...
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by José de Jesús -
Paz y Bien.

Helen:

That I will do at the moment.

Thank you very much

José de Jesús

Hi José

The point is, Moodle needs much more ressources than a static website. But to be sure in your special case, you must have some figures of your usage, like logfile, a time graph of number of logged in users, etc.

Of course there is the possibility that your installation consumes too much because of a malfunction. You have to debug for that. Also there may be possiblities of stripping down, making your Moodle instance more efficient. Go through the docs mentioned and search this formum for similar discussions.

The other alternative is to change the hoster. The hardware and infrastructure costs are minimal for a small site compared to the the cost of the time invested!

by José de Jesús -
Paz y Bien.

Visvanath

Can a person execute a script to download resourses from moodle without logging to the site and from different DNS from the same IP?

Thanks a lot for answering me.

Greetings.

José de Jesús.

Hi José

The community behind moodle.org is huge, make use of it! I may not know the answer nor have the time.

> Can a person execute a script to download resourses from moodle without logging to the site

One should NOT, otherwise it is a big security issue! You should ask the security experts for an authorative answer.

> and from different DNS from the same IP?

What do you mean by same IP, Internet Provider? IP-Address? ...?

Or, are you thinking of other users of the same server? with Unix shell accounts? If so, the answer is yes and no. It depends on how you work (setting the privileges properly), how the server administrator work (owner of the Apache process) and how good the third party is (smuggling root kits) ;-(

As mentioned earlier, this discussion belongs to the "Security and Privacy" forum http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=7301 May the moderator is kind enough to move it there changing the topic to a more proper one, this is NOT about "High CPU usage".

P.S. I know, this sounds like the "Queen's Croquet-Ground" http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/alice-VIII.html wink

by José de Jesús -
Peace.

I comment to you.

I reviewed the forums of all the courses, then I edit
  • Administration
  • / Modules
  • / Activities
  • / Manage activities

Maximum attachment sizeforum_maxbytes 0 bytes

Default maximum size for all forum attachments on the site (subject to course limits and other local settings).

Also, we updated all the questionnaires and we block the attempts without limit. Another cause, was the number of registered students, since they are numerous group

Thank you very much by your suggestions.

PD. I did not understand this sounds like the " Queen' s Croquet-Ground" http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/alice-VIII.html

Hi José

Glad to know that you got it sorted out.

The Alice thing was just an anecdote - there was a smiley as a warning. Since I was talking about rules of the game, I thought this quote is illuminating:

The chief difficulty Alice found at first was in managing her flamingo: she succeeded in getting its body tucked away, comfortably enough, under her arm, with its legs hanging down, but generally, just as she had got its neck nicely straightened out, and was going to give the hedgehog a blow with its head, it would twist itself round and look up in her face, with such a puzzled expression that she could not help bursting out laughing: and when she had got its head down, and was going to begin again, it was very provoking to find that the hedgehog had unrolled itself, and was in the act of crawling away: besides all this, there was generally a ridge or furrow in the way wherever she wanted to send the hedgehog to, and, as the doubled-up soldiers were always getting up and walking off to other parts of the ground, Alice soon came to the conclusion that it was a very difficult game indeed.

by José de Jesús -
Paz y Bien.

Visvanath:

You are right. It is very important to know the policies use of the provedores of hosting. As situacitón commented to you three years ago had not happened this, because they were more usuary, but different hosting.

Thank you very much. estupendo

Greetings.

José de Jesús