Participants in meta courses aggregate very slowly

Participants in meta courses aggregate very slowly

by Christian Zick -
Number of replies: 2
My course 1 is a child course with 20 enrolled users. I then created courses 2 to 21 as meta courses with the aim of having the 20 users registered automatically in meta courses 2 to 21. The process of automatically performing the 20 x 20 registrations took about 1 month on our Linux Apache installation (administrated by professional server staff at my department).

Has anybody any ideas why?

I am really happy about having started this configuration early enough, so the result is ok for me, but still I am worried.

I remember having built the same configuration, years ago, by creating meta course 1, saving it as a backup and adding the backup as new meta courses 2, 3, .... This was as fast as expected. It is certainly advisable to follow this strategy.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christian Zick

Re: Participants in meta courses aggregate very slowly

by Henning Bostelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
We're using metacourses with many more users (several hundreds), and setting them up takes noticeable time, but no more than a few minutes.

I would suggest that you ask your professional server staff to investigate what is happening during the time when the server is busy. Is the server limited by CPU load or by disk waiting time? Is it the web server or the database that is causing the load? How large are the database buffers that have been set up? If it's the database, which statement is causing the problem?
In reply to Henning Bostelmann

Re: Participants in meta courses aggregate very slowly

by Christian Zick -
Thanks to your thoughts, I realized that also a few completely different processes took much longer than expected, like deleting a course or a user. Subsequently, server error message 500 brought me to the error logs, where I identified the line:

[error] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare questionnaire_upgrade() (previously declared in /..../htdocs/moodle/mod/questionnaire/db/mysql.php:3) in /..../htdocs/moodle/mod/questionnaire-muell/db/mysql.php on line 76

Explanation: before changing something in questionnaire module, I had copied the /questionnaire directory to /questionaire-muell. The pure existence of this directory triggered a pending and faulty module installation process.

I suggest you set up a forum for the subject "Mistakes and silly misconfigurations never thought of smile"