Is there a way to let teachers set e-mail alerts for a particular quiz?

Is there a way to let teachers set e-mail alerts for a particular quiz?

by Ellen Walker -
Number of replies: 10
We are using Moodle 1.9.5+ (Build: 20090603).
Many of our teachers have computer-scored quizzes that allow multiple attempts. They don't want their inboxes filled with e-mail alerts for all those quizzes.
However, some of the teachers have some teacher-scored quizzes and DO want e-mail alerts. Right now, in order to set that up, someone with admin rights has to go in to each quiz, individually, and do Update this quiz, and then Override Permissions.
We would like to give teachers the ability to set this for themselves. If you know a way to do this, please let me know!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ellen Walker

Re: Is there a way to let teachers set e-mail alerts for a particular quiz?

by Tammy Moore -
In all of my courses I have the quizzes set to multiple attempts and the flood or famine of notifications was a problem. What We did was install the ungraded assignment sidebar block add on (available at Moodle.org's module add on page). Now instead of e-mail alerts coming in to my e-mail box for any quizzes, I just visit the course page once per day to see if any ungraded assignments are sitting in the ungraded assignment sidebar block. It picks up on all teacher-scored activity from quizzes (essay questions) and anything from the assignment activity. It may pick up on more than that, but those are all that I use in my courses. The block itself is nicely organized. When you first land on the course page with a teacher login, you see just the assignment names that are waiting for grading. Click the twirl down to see the individual student's name and a direct link to the thing needing grading right there in the box. It updates automatically as you complete each grading. If you accidentally missed seeing an essay question that needed hand scoring within a quiz, it will stay in the list. I have found that about once per week, I miss one and the ungraded assignment tool was the way that I caught that it happened. The old way, I never would have known unless the student caught it and brought it to my attention.

It is, by far, my favorite Moodle add on.

:0)
Tammy Moore
In reply to Tammy Moore

by Ellen Walker -
Is this the same thing as the Recent Activity sidebar?

In reply to Ellen Walker

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, you could give teachers the permission to override roles?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ellen Walker -
But is there a way to give them permission to only override on that one thing? It looks to me like we would have to give them permission for lots of admin things all at the same time.
In reply to Ellen Walker

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ellen,
It is one of the strengths of the roles in Moodle that they can be overridden very finely at all levels. Roles are complicated to understand and master, but very powerful.
Joseph
In reply to Ellen Walker

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Teachers can only override things inside their own courses. Therefore, they cannot give themselves admin rights.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Tim:

Teachers [...] cannot give themselves admin rights

If they could, it surely would be the end of the world.wink
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ellen Walker -
Right - but right now, they don't see the override permissions tab in the update quiz screen, so they can't override the setting on whether they get e-mails when a student submits a quiz. Is there a setting somewhere for us to give them that 'override permissions' tab?
In reply to Ellen Walker

by Tim Hunt -
In the role definition (Admin -> users -> permissions -> define roles) you need to give teachers the Override permissions capability. Then on the Roles allow override tab, you need to ensure that they are allowed to override the student role.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ellen Walker -
Thank you! Actually, I needed to set it so that teachers can override the teacher role, but I wouldn't have figured this out without your help. Our teachers will be very grateful!