HTML editing bars totally disappeared

HTML editing bars totally disappeared

by Judy Steidl -
Number of replies: 12
Firefox upgraded to 3.6.2 and maybe there were other upgrades that I don't know about but....

As a result of something ALL the HTML editing bars and icons have disappeared from the editing boxes.

Any ideas about how I can fix this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Judy Steidl

Re: HTML editing bars totally disappeared

by Judy Steidl -
Yes, it is worse than I thought. Not only are all HTML editing bars and icons gone from the editing boxes, if I click to open and edit previous content, the HTML box displays the HTML code. I don't know code, so it is nearly impossible for me to make any changes in the course.

Plus the problem persists in Firefox and Internet Explorer and on all computers, mine and my students who live all around the world.

Sounds like something happened at the server level, but where would that file be so that I can fix it?

In reply to Judy Steidl

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Judy - what version of Moodle are you using? Is it the latest version and have you added all the security updates? Does your Moodle have email-based self registration for your students?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Vijay N -
I currently use Moodle version 1.88. And I have the same problem with almost all btowsers accept Internet Explorer 7. I have tested on Opera, Google Chrome, Firefox 3.xx and IE 8, and none of them loads the editing bars instead it loads only the Text mode, which mean you will find only html scripts of the whole page within the text editing box while editing labels, courses or any other html blocks.

I also use Moodle 1.9.7 version on a test server which appears to have the same issue. please help!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Judy Steidl -
Hi, Mary,
(THANK YOU!) I am using 1.9.3 and have not upgraded or added the security alerts from the most recent version. I manually register all my students. I was going to upgrade with 2.0 when it came out and not risk changes until then. My other versions of Moodle at 1.9.5 are doing the same thing.

In reply to Judy Steidl

by David Barrett -
Hi, Judy

A few questions for you:
  1. Are you using Windows? If so, which version (e.g. XP, Vista, 7)?
  2. Have you upgraded to Firefox 3.6.3, the latest version? If not, as counter-intuitive as it may seem, it may be a good idea to do so. The very latest version always contains fixes, and may therefore have something to offer you in this case.
  3. Have you installed any add-ons (extensions or themes) in Firefox lately?
  4. If you are using Windows, have you tried working in Internet Explorer? If that's not working either, the problem may not be with your browser. If it is working, at least you have something to go on with until the Firefox thing sorts itself out.
I feel your frustration!

Cheers
David
In reply to David Barrett

by Judy Steidl -
Thanks, David!
I am using Windows 7, but it worked on Windows 7 at first with no visible problem.
I upgraded Firefox to the latest version and have not installed any themes or extensions that I remember. The problem is in IE and Firefox both, on several different computers! I am nervous that my host server did something that will not allow Moodle to function properly!

And I am getting error messages regarding the "dirroot" in the home directory (gofrom "home to home1" and when I make that change, I get this notification:

You have defined $CFG->wwwroot incorrectly in your config.php file. It does not match the URL you are using to access this page. Please correct it, or you will experience strange bugs like
MDL-11061.

The HTML editing boxes work perfectly when I pull them up from moodle.org
so it has to be the server................right?

And, if so, how do I identify the exact spot where the HTML editor lives in the Moodle files? If they don't find the problem............yes, I am sunk.
In reply to Judy Steidl

by David Barrett -
Hi, Judy

Yep, I think your problem definitely lies beyond the browser. And that takes me into territory where I have no knowledge or experience. I'm pretty much a noob in Moodle! mixed

I did, however, check out the link in your error message, which takes you to this page:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-11061

There's some discussion in there about workarounds for the error, and they do point you to certain files to work on.

Sorry I'm not very helpful beyond a very, very basic level. But I hope you find a solution soon.

Cheers
David
In reply to David Barrett

by Judy Steidl -
Thanks so much for your kind attempts! I'll follow up with any developments
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Judy Steidl -
Mary,
I think my server changed the directory root in my Moodle site from home to home 1. I've gone through as many php lines as I can but I cannot find the "key" for fixing this current error message:

You have defined $CFG->wwwroot incorrectly in your config.php file. It does not match the URL you are using to access this page.

If I could find where this is I might be able to catch up to my students!

Any ideas?

A server shift in directory name can cause this much chaos?

And how do I fix it? Hmm...
In reply to Judy Steidl

by charles Requena Palomino -
the problem can be solved, if you manually configure the config.php file, the problem is that from where you enter is not the right way insurance has moved the moodle directory, check my page for example, if it is as it should be defined the website:
$ CFG-> wwwroot = 'http://sullanalinux.comuf.com/moodle';

direcctorio ie my moodle is in the location of my server / root / public_html / moodle

that's why this error comes. to see this problem send me your page or modify the config.php, ie it should look like:

$ CFG-> wwwroot = 'your web page from which you access moodle';

excuse my bad English thanks
In reply to Judy Steidl

by Judy Steidl -
The conclusion of my non-working HTML editing boxes issue is that a Remote-Learner technician discovered that my site's config files had been compromised by an unknown source, i.e., hacked. They replaced the mutated config files with fresh pure code from 1.9.3 and handled all the updates for me so now all the html editing bars have been restored and are working properly again.